Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Planars & Exotics ESL's, planars, and alternative technologies

Replacing neon lamp for charging indicator in Quad ESL63
Replacing neon lamp for charging indicator in Quad ESL63
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 12th May 2017, 12:26 AM   #11
CijTele52 is offline CijTele52  United States
diyAudio Member

Thanks again, Guys. I'll try it out and let you know how it works.
Old 22nd May 2017, 12:50 AM   #12
stokessd is offline stokessd  United States
diyAudio Member

They are standard NE-2 neon bulbs I believe. There used to be a zillion neon bulb sizes, but the NE-2 seems to be the most popular these days.

Putting on my engineer hat, I'd say it really doesn't matter too much what neon bulb you use. It is a pass element when the voltage across it gets above a threshold and than effectively opens the circuit when it stops conducting. A larger bulb would be able to pass more current, but it's current limited by the series resistor before it. so it really doesn't matter. If it was a different noble gas, it would "strike" at a different voltage, but good luck finding bulb with a gas other than neon.

I rarely see problems with those neon bulbs, I suppose if a speaker bad panels and ws left on for a long time, the bulb could burn out. I used to use a lot of NE-2's because I would replace the Quad 57 power supply power indicatior lamp bulbs. But I use an LED board that replaces the NE-2's in the 57's now, so I don't go through as many neon bulbs as I used to. I got them at mouser or digikey.

Sorry for the slow response, I haven't been on here very much (the weather is nice in the real world)

Sheldon
quadesl.com
Old 22nd May 2017, 08:56 AM   #13
CijTele52 is offline CijTele52  United States
diyAudio Member

Hey Sheldon, thanks for your advice. I bought the neon bulb last week but didn't have time to replace it yet. Little busy lately. I'll try it soon.

Replacing neon lamp for charging indicator in Quad ESL63Hide this!Advertise here!