Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Planars & Exotics ESL's, planars, and alternative technologies

ER Audio 505 hybrid electrostatic build
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 8th May 2017, 03:13 AM   #11
sumotan is offline sumotan  Indonesia
diyAudio Member

Wow nice job bravo
Old 8th May 2017, 03:18 AM   #12
diyAudio Member

Btw what's the volume of the pipe used ?
Looks small for the woofer.

Thks
Old 8th May 2017, 05:16 AM   #13
Bosco Birdswood is offline Bosco Birdswood
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumotan View Post
Btw what's the volume of the pipe used ?
Looks small for the woofer.

Thks
Thanks for the kind words!

The pipe works out at around 40L. Because I'm using an active crossover and the woofers are actually rated up to 600w I could have gone even smaller (and possibly will for the next build). Believe it or not they are actually flat down to 25Hz and only down about 3dB at 20Hz because I use a low shelf boost on them applied by the miniDSP.

I initially tried using a Linkwitz Transform but found the results to be inconsistent.
Old 8th May 2017, 05:27 AM   #14
diyAudio Member

Wow flat 25hz will be room shaking ya. Lol
I do wonder if vertical placement of woofer
as per you set up is the way to go. My own
experience is the sound from the woofer will
sound recess as compared to front firing type.
So Im wondering if Sq is not affected

Thsk again Bossco
Old 9th May 2017, 12:04 AM   #15
bentoronto is online now bentoronto  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosco Birdswood View Post
Believe it or not they are actually flat down to 25Hz and only down about 3dB at 20Hz because I use a low shelf boost on them applied by the miniDSP.
Can you please describe your measurement set-up.

For really swell veneer, just buy plywood that has the veneer on it. Also, traditional wood veneer glues on pretty nice with the usual contact cement and maybe less tricky than plastic.

Beautiful work.

B.

Last edited by bentoronto; 9th May 2017 at 12:07 AM.
Old 10th May 2017, 12:55 AM   #16
MITsound is offline MITsound  Canada
diyAudio Member

Really nice work.
I'm wondering about any long term effects on the 505s being directly sub (hah!)jected to the pressure waves blowing directly along them, as well as the dust trap aspect.
Perhaps a side facing bipolar setup with smaller drivers?
The side outputs would sum, the 90 off axis driver output would likely have lower distortion, and it offers the chance at push pull configuration .
So lower distortion , closer mounting to the floor to eliminate floor bounce aberrations. Mounting on the sides also eliminates the chance of suspension sag, over time, as well.
Plus I don't make sawdust to try it if you do it first.
��
Old 10th May 2017, 01:56 AM   #17
Andersonix is offline Andersonix  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Nice job, Bosco! I was always curious about that configuration!

Would you expand on the crossover? XO point? EQ?
Thanks!
Old 10th May 2017, 10:30 AM   #18
bentoronto is online now bentoronto  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentoronto View Post
Can you please describe your measurement set-up....
Beautiful work.
You've made the exceptional claim that your small sewer pipe sub is flat to nearly 20 Hz. So I'd like to hear how you measured that or is it just your intuitive impression?

B.
Old 12th May 2017, 05:22 PM   #19
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MITsound View Post
Really nice work.
I'm wondering about any long term effects on the 505s being directly sub (hah!)jected to the pressure waves blowing directly along them, as well as the dust trap aspect.
Perhaps a side facing bipolar setup with smaller drivers?
The side outputs would sum, the 90° off axis driver output would likely have lower distortion, and it offers the chance at push pull configuration .
So lower distortion , closer mounting to the floor to eliminate floor bounce aberrations. Mounting on the sides also eliminates the chance of suspension sag, over time, as well.
Plus I don't make sawdust to try it if you do it first.

Hah, you must be a Dad to be making jokes like that - speaking as a Dad who fully embraces his new found right to make Dad jokes

I think the argument is that because the ESL panel is mounted centrally over the woofer it sees the same pressure on both sides of the panel. There therefore shouldn't be issues with fatiguing of the panel.

John Watkinson who has guided me through this project makes an amazing Omnidirectional speaker which actually incorporates both methods- the midrange driver fires upwards and then there are two woofers in a bipolar config like you mentioned.

I'm sure it would work great and would definitely be worth trying but as the Morel woofers are AU$900 each landed even for the 8" drivers I've chosen to stick with the current configuration for cost and simplicity!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12th May 2017, 05:40 PM   #20
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andersonix View Post
Nice job, Bosco! I was always curious about that configuration!

Would you expand on the crossover? XO point? EQ?
Thanks!

Thanks! OK, so the crossover is a miniDSP 2x4HD. I also own the regular 2x4 and the HD version is WAY better.

Because they are known to sum correctly at least from a power point of view I am using a 2nd order Linkwitz Riley crossover. I tried 4th order but felt it didn't sound as natural to my ears.

Initially I set the crossover point using the inbuilt crossover part of the software in order to allow me the ability to quickly make changes to crossover point etc. In doing so I settled on 500hz.

Once the crossover point was decided upon I used rePhase to create an FIR file using linear phase filters. For the ESL filter I also added a low shelf boost at around 700hz to compensate for the dipole cancellation. When combined with the 12db/oct roll off of the crossover filter the net result is a filter that only cuts rather than boosting any frequencies with the shelf. The shelf just alters the shape of the net roll off.

The woofers have a low shelf applied to extend their flat response.

You then apply the FIR filters to the 4 channels in the miniDSP software. The 4 outputs then connect to a 4ch ATI power amp.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ER Audio 505 hybrid electrostatic buildHide this!Advertise here!