...yet the Quad ESL 57 again

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Dear Forum,

Can anyone help me regarding replacement cabling to use in my pair of ESL 57s?

The factory cables mostly corroded on the inside (green tarnish, powders as I touch the bare wire) and rather short than OK.

May this be a 'good' alternative or should I stick with a more 'simplier' cable? Is AC 6000 V rating is enough for this purpose or should I rather look for an 12kV one?

My plan is not to change the sound signature too much ( if the cabling ever do anything to the whole )
I am not sure what did Quad used, where thos silver plated or just tinned copper wires, and neither I recognise the insulation on those factory cables.

Thank you for your efforts and help in advance,

Ambrus

Last edited:
Are you sure your high voltage cable is really corroded all along it's length. I typically can trim back a half inch or so and the conductors are OK. I often re-use it.

You'll want some high voltage wire, or sleeve lower voltage wire with a loose jacket (to make your own high voltage wire.

If you are set on replacing it, I have used hook-up wire, which is really great. It has fine conductors and is very compliant, and is rated to 10KV. Here's an example:

6733-2 Pomona Electronics | Cables, Wires | DigiKey

Another solution is to use 5KV hookup wire. Here's some:

C1321.21.03 General Cable/Carol Brand | Cables, Wires | DigiKey

The last two feet of hookup wire can't possibly effect the sound (if hookup wire ever actually could), because it's the last couple feet of thousands of feet of wire inside the input transformer.

hope that helps,
Sheldon
quadesl.com

Thank you Sheldon. Not every patch, but two of them are surely corroded at their full lenght. Of course, I had tried to back-cut them, but after each cut, the tarnish powder was there, so I gave up. Maybe it was because I washed all the cables in a sink with a soap? I do not know.
I will check these if they ship to my country.
Thank you for your tip.

Aren't these a good alternative that I linked in? Or it is unneccesary high priced?

High Voltage Corona Resistant Silver PTFE 20 AWG Wire 13 KV Gore F01B080 5 ft | eBay

Thanks

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.