Found this Quad 57 Classified, and...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
The older original ESL's had banana connectors that are both the same color. But more importantly, those early one also have more limited crossovers that make the tweeters more prone to arcing with high power amplifiers. Those could be old enough that the rectifier blocks are epoxy (not rebuildable) rather than the beeswax boxes

Sheldon

I see, but I do not understand the seller's opinion about 'better sound' I am aware that these must have the 2 row*4 layout of resistors and maybe the audio input wire is a solid core instead of stranded wires but what is the difference except these he means?

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Words in question:
"when working properly these 'mono' esl 57's have a much nicer 'tone' and sound much better than the later 57's"

My interpretation is they are early Quads that will sound much better after you repair them, so please hurry up and buy them.

In my limited experience of over 20 years of original Quad ESL repair, the only differences are the crossover network and the non-repairable EHT blocks.

The panels are effectively identical, the grilles are identical, the rear grilles and damping mats are identical.

The only difference is the crossover, which I'd recommend that you upgrade to the latest design to protect your expensive tweeters.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.