DIY planar magnetic + open baffle woofer array

I'm afraid not. I designed them (I assume you mean the planar magnetic panels...) for dipole use so I didn't really have a reason to measure Vas. Because of the stretch-wrap "surround" around the kapton tape diaphragms, the tension is likely lower than if I had directly clamped the kapton to the edges of the frames. I don't have numerical value to quantify things, though.

Few

At long last I have built some 12” sealed subwoofers intended to stylistically match, and complement, the existing towers. So far I’ve only completed their construction. I need to assemble the ICE amp I bought to drive them, and move them from the shop into their final position. I’ll use the remaining outputs on my miniDSP to equalize them and apply crossovers.

I bought quarter round aluminum extrusions from Tnutz for the corners, and trimmed down some aluminum angle to form the rings surrounding the drivers.

Few

Attachments

• IMG_2357.jpeg
    IMG_2357.jpeg
    392.3 KB · Views: 41
Reactions: 1 user
Well with my infinitely tolerant wife's help, and a hydraulic car jack, I was able to hoist one (Heavy!!) open baffle woofer tower onto a subwoofer. I'm going to sleep on "the look" before deciding, but my first reaction is that it makes the woofer tower too tall and imposing. I originally built in space below the bottom woofer in that array so that the overall array would be at a sensible height, but that space looks out of place when it's on top of a subwoofer. I may be better off putting the subwoofers just behind the pairs of towers rather than using them as bases for the woofer arrays. Not what I envisioned, but maybe the smarter move---especially given the bit of a grimace-tainted forced smile on my wife's face as we stepped back after perching the first woofer tower on its subwoofer.

If I do put the subwoofers behind the towers, that might force the towers a few more inches out into the room. That's something I would prefer anyway for acoustic reasons, so maybe the speaker gods are trying to tell me something.

Few

Reactions: 1 user
Here’s the look. Having considered the options, I think I’m going to undo yesterday’s lifting efforts and place the subwoofer behind the towers. Now I have to figure out how to do this without damaging anything.
Few

Attachments

• IMG_2360.jpeg
    IMG_2360.jpeg
    379.8 KB · Views: 52
Reactions: 1 users