Tweeter for Maggies

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am interested in knowing if anybody has tried adding tweeters to some of the older maggies. I have a set of MGIIC and have been thinking about trying a tweeter mounted somewhere about 2/3 up the side of the panel. Maybe even one firing backwards also. Anybody tried anything like this?

the changinh the panel around trick does not do that much. its the weight of the tweeter that holds it back. by the way usually it extends to 18khz even older model. you are a pretty special person if you can hear 18Khz above 25 years of age.

what usually happens is that people add a tweeter and over exagurate highs, because they dont measure but listen. thats ok if you want to compensate for your hearing, but this can be achieved with eq or dsp as well.

When I ran the ribbon tweeter with the MG1 panel, the panel handled LF only as limited by the crossover.

The HF wiring had corroded.

In my opinion, the current Quasi-ribbon design is VERY good, and needs no augmentation.

It has dispersion problems, but is beautifully integrated.

The first generation of MMG can be a revelation, if you have sufficient power to drive them and enough space to align them with your room.

Those problems are more complex than getting HF response from today's Magneplanars.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Actually, I did it recently but on my Apogee Duetta Sigs. Added 26 inch mrt from Apogee Stages. My Duettas are multiamped and amp for mrt died few weeks ago. My spare amp Luxman L530 is not made for such a low load (3,2Ohm) so, I added in series mrt from my spare Stages, also 3,2Ohm. Now, with 6,4Ohms, there is no problem with Lux at all.

The combination works fantastic, so my plan is to make nice baffle in Apogee style (dimension 147 x 11cm) which will be few mm close parallel to Duetta inner side.

Smaller 26 inch ribbon have nicer microdynamics which improve the overall sound quality for class.

The previous Sigs owner, already used RAAL 140 as Zoran suggested but, imo, that was not so good as combination with Stage ribbon. I believe, the reason is in the physical ribbon length, my thinking is that it is easier to integrate ribbon with similar sizes than, one big and other small. Who knows?

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

http://i.imgur.com/Lf3SBh4.jpg

my experience tells me the mass difference between the RAAL and the maggi is too large. The two have different charactures that dont exactly match eachother well. The much heavyer Stage MRT ( approx. 5 times heavyer than RAAL) has qualities that match the maggie signature better.

Can the RAAL and the Maggie be blended together? Of course BUT years of listening to literaly hundreds of prototypes of similar arraingments leads me to believe that ultra low mass tweeters and much heavyer planers have a different sonic and in the long run the ear is looking for a better match more than sheer technical superiority in one area or another.

BTW the ribbon MRT design in Apogees will start to roll off as high as 1.5 khz where the planer mid of the Maggies will go lower. Thiscan make the blend of Maggie bass and Apogee MRT a bit difficult at the crossover region. The Maggie bass panel has trouble with the overlap.

yes understood about the dipole being a better match and certainly that is tru. However the issue with the RAAL is its mass, literally wayyyy lighter diaphragm than the maggie planer.

A few years back we were playing with this exact arraingment, a few protos of maggie style planer MRTs and we had an Apogee Stage MRT. We were building ad on dipole tweeters for these units. We did a number of designs with foil only ribbon diaphragms and various plastic film back units. There were foil only units with foil thicknesses from same as RAAL all the way to heavyer than even the MRT. At first the very low mass tweeters like the RAAL impressed for sure BUT over time the ears seemed to find the heavyer tweeters to be a better match overall. Sure good sound was had from the very low mass units BUT the heavyer ones always seemed a better match across the board and extended listening agreed.

Im not sure what the reasion is but I suspect the particular signature of heavyer drivers is not always a best match to super low mass units requardless of the assumed technical superiority on the lighter.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.