Need help with a crackling ML Spire

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hmmmm...it looks like most of the 500V and 700V parts of interest are out of stock at Mouser.

Here are some 2.2Mohm 1% 1/4W 1.6kV for reasonable price that will work great.
http://www.mouser.de/ProductDetail/...GAEpiMZZMsPqMdJzcrNwtILrAkg5Vgfztk%2bQpRSOEc=

With 1% tolerance parts, the difference between 2.21Mohm and 2.2Mohm is negligible in this application.
Have been very pleased with the Vishay HVR25/37 and VR68 series high voltage resistors.

Last edited:
Thanks ever so mich for all your help, bolserst... I sincerely owe you, like all in this fantastic forum who have been helping me along with good advice and emotional support... did need it as there were times I was getting really frustrated looking for the pin in the haystack.

Warm regards from cold Bavaria,
André

Glad to help out and share what I've learned from past experience.
Also, always glad to learn new things...one of the main reasons I am involved in this forum.
In this case, your thorough troubleshooting has helped me learn of a new failure mode I was not familiar with.
So, thanks right back at you :)

Dear Friends,

Praise the Lord! The issue is cured :) :)

It was the suspected defect resistor. I purchased the resistors you recommended, bolserst, and replaced all of them in both speakers (just as I did with the diodes and ceramic caps), so the HV section as all Vishay quality parts in it. What stuns me as how dead silent the speakers are now when no music is playing and how crisp they sound. Leaves me suspecting that the other resistors may have been on their way of going on the blink as well.

I would like to thank all of you once more ever so much for all the great advice! In these last weeks hunting this gremlin I have learnt a lot more about how these wonderful speakers work.

I may come back to you once more for your advice on the large cap upgrades, but for now have had enough of soldering and just want to enjoy the long missed music over the Xmas season ;-) Feel free to post any good upgrade tips... I'll continue reading and will be happy for ever other recommendation :)

Warm regards from a deeply thankful
André

That is great news!
Just in time for the holidays. :xmastree:

For future reference, I updated the schematic I had posted previously to show where the faulty 2.2Mohm resistors are located in the circuit.

Attachments

• ML_Spire_HV_circuit_v2.png
    ML_Spire_HV_circuit_v2.png
    52.6 KB · Views: 97
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.