My version of Lampizator P24 open baffle

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Guys,

Haven't posted here for long time. I have been open baffle addict for years, it's love at first "audition" and have been searching my perfect baffle for years since 10 years ago. And this is my latest. It's based on Lampizator's Delusion project (p24), sans the Raal ribbon and instead I use a very special 13cm Isophon "bending wave converter" tweeter. Altec 420a dustcap removed (honestly this is the hardest part....psychologically...)

I have the same Tesla 32ohm woofer, in fact I got two
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.
pairs thinking about paralleling to get 16ohm and 3db more sensitive. But right now I just play the main baffle with active Ripole subwoofer from Bastanis and cross then around 120hz.

So far I am VERY happy. Crossovers are made from all Russian PIO caps, tweeter caps bypassed by an Obbligato Teflon of 0.1uf.

40482A48-ACCF-4E37-B14E-80F6B1D551EF.jpg

Meanwhile, while picking up the mood to do more drilling, I also make another pair of "simpler" baffle using up some drivers that have been lying around, they being some Isophon p30/31 12" alnico and the same 13cm Isophon tweeters as in my Lampizator p24 above. Oh the sound of this all Isophon baffle surprises me a LOT.

Crossover is simple, the two 12" are in series, then add a series 0.39mh coil to them, tweeter rolled off by a 4uf oil cap.

541C29EF-2185-44E6-904C-C88B7211097B.jpg

CE97777D-C2EF-4D05-9C69-517E3ED8F77B.jpg

This is my updated Full(er) version of the Lampizator P24. Previously I was using the active Bastanis ripole to compliment the half-p24 baffle. The ripole os a modified folded dipole with a 18" woofer inside.

Now I have mounted two 15" alnico Tesla, on top n bottom respectively. I adjusted the crossover balues of Lamp's to accomodate this. I hate to type that clichè here, but this is definitely the most attractive sounding speaker system ever heard my by ears. I tend not to use the word Best/Accurate. This latest incarnation really nails me to my seat once I switched on the system and I just don't feel I want to tweak any more. I don't have the Raal ribbon yet but I am using a very special large format version of the vintage german paper tweeter (not isophon h10/saba/Siemens)

I also differ from Lampizator's in that instead of mounting the Teala on book case 1 meter behind the main baffle, I have them on the same baffle as the rest, polarity is also adjusted for this change.

I also experimented a bit with putting Scotch brites pad around tweeters but they dodn't seem to do much for me. So later I took them down.

C2FC7FE0-9166-4693-B1DE-500888631E7D.jpg

54E950E9-6A14-411F-BC93-2E04DC7C06B5.jpg

25BA6592-9420-4DF6-A827-3BC74D819E0D.jpg

AE2DAD2D-65BA-4F07-9911-3895FBBEBECF.jpg

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
nice ;)

however , with all that , I believe you now need more sturdy baffle skeleton

regarding Teslas - I agree with Fikus that they're having gargantuan hardware , but my impression is ( having few pairs during time , seeing several more) that cone assembly isn't on par with basket+magnet level of quality

they all need new (softer) spider and adequate new surround , plus few Dammar coating of cone

after that , you'll need great amount of greenies to surpass them

so I abandoned them , now using Tannoy + Beyma ( as bass helper)

Great work walking in Lukas's footsteps!

A few questions:
1. What are you using as frames to mount the baffles on? I am thinking of building a frame with metal.

2. Are you aligning the acoustic masses of the drivers?

3. Are you planning to put the crossovers before the amps? Having read some of Lukas's text, I know he's OK with just passive XOs but I am planing to do OB + SET Tube Amp + another Amp and have a crossover before the amps.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.