Aluminum foil used as a transducer?

diyAudio Editor
Joined 2001
Paid Member
I don't understand the site, but Mu metal usually means a special alloy to protect agains magnatism. Is this aluminum on the site?

Also- could anyone make up a diagram of the magnet orientation?
Do you just line them up along each edge of the ribbon with the poles pointing at the edge of the ribbon?

Are the mags attracting each other or repulsing each other?

Brian- when are you going to make that amp?

Someone was describing a plastic membrane with aluminum conductive strips on it. That's a planar magnetic driver, not a ribbon, although you sometimes see it described as such in sales literature. The term ribbon has cachet in the market place, planar magnetic does not.
The magnets in a ribbon are aligned so that all the magnets on one side have their South pole aimed at the driver element. The magnets on the other side are aligned with their North pole pointing at the element. That way the flux lines travel across the element from one side to the other. Generally the magnets are mounted on a steel frame of some sort that serves as a flux return and makes the field more efficient. When current flows through the element, it develops force at a 90 degree angle to the magnetic field and the ribbon moves.
Planar magnetics, such as the Magneplanar or the old Apogees, use a different strategy.
Ceramic magnets work just fine, although the rare earth magnets are better--just more expensive.

Grey

Hello, I designed for the first time a ribbon transducer and is shown in the attached picture. I used aluminum foil for food wraping. I temporary used the magnets n52 as shown but i ordered from Amazon.de N52 neodymium magnets 60mm X 5mm X 3mm. I will use 2 on each side of the ribbon. The ribbon is 60mm X 20mm but my question is if i can increase the width to 30mm in a new design. Overall is sounds good but there is a min in audio level at 6KHz because of a reason which i cannot explain theoriticaly yet. Also i discovered that the power amplifier must have a output 15w at least, but with a series pwer resistor of 8 ohm because the tranducer has 0.1 ohm resistance.

Attachments

• IMG_20220216_100308[2574].jpg
    IMG_20220216_100308[2574].jpg
    365.9 KB · Views: 130
The diaphragm as i mentioned is 60mm X 20mm and the material is aluminum foil for food wraping. I believe that it has about 10-15 micron thickness. The whole design was designed by me and 3d printed with PETG. Please let me know wher can i find a foil with better quality and lower thickness.

You have to apply an amount of tension to the foil then maybe you can control the 6kHz dip.
Did you simulate the magnetic filed of your arrangement ?
Maybe there could be a problem also.

Rob
The foil which i use is free without any tension. I made it with multiple v shape in crossection. Also the aluminum is not elastic so it cannot be tensioned. Only, if i use aluminum on kapton i will tension the material, but then i will make planar transducer and not a ribbon transducer.

that dip is more likey baffe difraction , or the fact it is rather large tweeter and not a true line source either. move your mic up or down see if it shifts. if so..the problem is not the foil or tension of the ribbon itself but its size/length. bolserst had a nice picture of what happens with large ribbon tweeters/small line sources, usually its a nice wiggle :)

Could aluminum foil (like cooking foil) be used as a transducer? I mean since most ribbons and magneplanars use aluminum strips attached to a mylar or similar membrane. So could use just forgo the mylar and use the foil since the entire surface is aluminum. Although you wouldn't be able to stretch it like mylar thats for sure.

Anyways any ideas on this. Oh ya one question, a fundamental one I suppose. Since aluminum isn't magnetic, how do ribbons and stuff work exactly? Does the electromagnet affect aluminum differently than a earth magnet?
To maybe help answer your secondary fundamental magnetic question,....All the many speaker (traditional dynamic magnetic cone & magneplanar, etc) designs, I only see non-nagnetic VC wire used.....Steel (or any other magnetic) VC wire (or foil ribbon) would remain sucked up tight attracted to the pole piece magnet & make quite a bad buzzing sound distorted mess....The weak but additive "electro-magnetic" field force field effect causes the non-magnetic VC wire (spool coiled or linear straight" to be alternatively pulled & pushed away from the pole piece carrying the attached diagram if used....It deff seems to work where magnetic wire or ribbon just gets in the way !! ...I leave the involved physics version up for others !! ....tom