QUAD ESL 57 A little work on the loudspeaker

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Now, I have to wait for some screws to arrive, I have some time for the frame of the speaker. I decided to recondition the wood somehow if possible. Since I live in a flat, it's a bit difficult, but not impossible. I hand-sanded the paint off first

I used some linseed oil on the wood to have 'better' results with the paint later on.

Now, I have to wait for the wood to drink the material up, and I will continue with some water-based 'liquid wood' paste to cover some holes on the top.

Last edited:

Completed one bass panel. It was a fun except the stage when one have to pull the wires through the tagboard without puncture the dustcover and broke off the solder post. That was a real pain in the *** work... The funny side was that Quad mustn't had any quality control when they were manufacturing these loudspeakers... The dustcover frames were shorter with a good 3-4 mm than the panels' itself... Anyway, it sings with great rattles at some frequencies, but I am going to remedy that when the panels will be at the frame.

Last edited:

The ordered M3*8mm titanium-aluminium screws and nuts has arrived, so I completed one more treble panel.
This time, I used some mahagony mordant to color the frames. I had to be careful with the amount of water to avoid deformation of the wood.

Powder-coated the frame this weekend. There is one more bass panel to go (I ran out of the high tensile hook-up wire:mad:). The final assembly is getting real close...

Do you intend to keep the acoustical damping felt on the rear side? I am interested in your experience with/without it.
Personally I think the felt spoils the potential of the speaker. I have had mine since the mid 1980s,and when I first bought them I was disappointed. They had a transparent yet closed in sound, they didn't breath... and the high frequencies were affected by a slighty phasey effect. This was in a room with them well away from the walls which were well damped with curtains behind. I was ready to give them up within a few days and then I remembered reading about removing the felt. I first did the bass panels, and that helped, but it wasn't until I removed all of the felt behind the treble panels that the magic appeared. I couldn't stop listening that night...

Sent from my x600 using Tapatalk

Well László, I haven't had the chance to experiment as I had bought the speakers without any felt on the back, not even on the trebles, they were removed and disposed by the previous owner (or owners). However, I always used the speakers at home with some damping the following method: we made a ,,special" thick cover for the speakers out of drape and some damping fabric for covering the speakers when they are not in use. I always put these at the back when they were in use. I liked it because it absorbed the sound somewhat that reflected from the back and made a better stereo image. But I must mention that the speakers sounded way better when I auditioned them at the seller's place. He lived in a house and the speakers were farther from the back wall that I cannot imitate at our flat. :(

Last edited:

Completed the 'last' panel of this speaker.
Unfortunately, I couldn't finish the speaker completely, because it turned out that I used too much linseed oil on the frames that started to get leaky and very sticky at some spots, where the oil came through, so I have to redo the frame painting part again...:mad:
I have no other idea than to strip the paint again with a great amount of sandpaper and greater amount of time, and remove the oil somehow.
I hope that I didn't destroy the frames with that stuff...:confused:

Last edited: