QUAD ESL 57 A little work on the loudspeaker

I decided to make some refurbishing regarding one side of my ESL speakers.
These will include experimenting with a set of unarced 'NOS' treble panels removed from an old QUAD, vacuum out, 'wash down' and redoing the dustcovers on all the panels, doing some paint repairing, and changing the diodes on the HT unit if necessary.

Photos are of the transformer successfully removed from it's box and my recently acquired 'untouched' panel.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Thanks for your info an pic....
Wish other ESL makers... used the so called (Dust cover) type setup.. that I feel give the Quad 57 the sound there known for... one of the best ESL sounds anyone has ever own.....to my ears it a one of a kind sound....with the mylar cover being on the out side of the esl driver....were there NOTHING between your ear ..an the output from the panel....
Why do others not do this today?
I have seen other say... that in the test lab... there not much diff....right!...
What ever .. other ESL I have owned...Sound lab Acoustat ML you name it....NOT!
I have always felt this is what has give the Apogee, Magnepan an some others.. there magical sound....as there drivers voice an mylar being open to the ear...
How others can set with speaker driver were there voice coils are hid in a magnetic gap....after hearing panels....I just don't get....
all just mans o-pine

Last edited:
One last question : I had purchased a lone ,,dummy" audio transformer from eBay, and I put it into the oven to ease the repaint process of the iron case.
After I had finished the paint process and put the transformer back to it's box, I discovered, that the resistors were way out of specs but rather downward than increased.
I used the lowest temp at the oven for about 10-15 min that successfully melted the wax enough to have the windings out of the box, but I am concerned that this heat 'destroyed' these resistors. However, I did not check the spces before, I measured those after the melting. What do you think? I am about to repaint my other's and I am worried.
Here are the measured specs.

After more sanding:

And the finished new black coating on the transformer box:

The bent brackets: