any alternative to lycron crystals?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Maybe coatings that disappear,* as WrineX cautions, are only a problem depending on your time scale.

After resting in my basement for 35 years, I've recently starting again using cells that Dayton-Wright made more than 40 yrs ago. The cells seem pretty good.

What is their coating? Or maybe I should ask, how can you tell when a coating is disappearing (since it just isn't feasible to measure sensitivity, let alone resistivity)?

Don't know if relevant, but the DW gear uses very high voltages, like 10kV, and enormous, almost unmeasurably large series resistors all around, like 66 megOhm here and there. How does voltage (and bias source resistance) interact with choices for coating?

Ben
*Anybody thinking of the old favourite, Halo brand hair shampoo. Or powder graphite door-lock lubricant rubbed in very very hard with a cotton-wool ball.

Last edited:
Look, I have pretty good experience as well as others with #6300 product from ACL Staticide. You need #6300S which is the smallest can you can get. Pressurized canned version is #6500 which I personally never used but talked to the representative and directly to the main office. They assured that it's about the same but 6300 is better. Urethane version is a bit more expensive and is called #6400. Again the main advice is to call/email main office and inquire about reps/distributors in your area. The stupid thing would be to say you need it for home cooking (DIY ESL production) purposes. State that you need the smallest sample/batch available to evaluate the product. Icould not easily find 6300S product online within 5 minutes. However you can get 6300Q for $122 or 6500 for $32 + shipping on amazon. Same amazon gives you Licron for $52, but beware the shipping cos the latter is inflammable. Dunno how deep you pockets are but be assured that it will be a small sacrifice when compared to the total project cost.
Good luck

Hi,

indeed, they charged us >100$ just for shipping, not only because instead of shipping it at lowest cost as asked for (time was no issue at all) they sent it with air express :warped:
The 6300 works very well, though I got some minor but still visible clouds and streaks when doing the second coating layer using a foam brush.
Undiluted the resistance is so low that a panel charges instantely.
That may suffice for hybrid panels ... with fullrangers it might be a tad to low and may require dilution to achieve a higher resistivity.

jauu
Calvin

i would love maybe to see a coating thats is not based on conductive polymer, so either ITO or carbon or something or graphene for all that matters :)

old lycron was ITO based, new one i guess polymer, and goes bad after a while just like the staticide i got at least. and it also is cloudy and sometimes conducts really well sometimes not as much :) the old Lycron had other problems ofcourse.

i would love maybe to see a coating thats is not based on conductive polymer, so either ITO or carbon or something or graphene for all that matters :)

old lycron was ITO based, new one i guess polymer, and goes bad after a while just like the staticide i got at least. and it also is cloudy and sometimes conducts really well sometimes not as much :) the old Lycron had other problems ofcourse.

One could easily find graphene based inks/paints with a particular conductivity. Pricey!
Moreover you can make your own graphene using kitchen mixer/blender, graphite, surfactant and some time.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.