DIY Speaker - Build your own driver?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2015
Paid Member
So you think it is viable to wrap your own coil - they say roll your own - and put a large magnet, make a cone out of ptastic and listen to music. People build their own tubes I mean vavuum tubes not speaker tubes - so there must be someone doing this apart from ribbon tweeters.

I don't see why not. You can buy spiders,surrounds,and even coils or coil formers. You can vacuum form cones or buy them stock. Basket might be the hardest and it is not a very nice thing to assemble speakers after they are magnetized . Possible but not recommended

Easiest way I see it use as many stock as possible for magnet structure you could use separate neo's , you can model them easy in fem. but ofc designing a speaker involves much more. But practical it is possible :)

Last edited:
No question this should appeal to all members of DIYaudio. I'd love to do nothing more.

I think we need to start by asking ourselves, what aspect of driver design can I do better than anything I can (remotely afford to) buy. Ummm, I'm stumped already.

The only concept single-purpose enough to be feasible would be a woofer for sound below 100 Hz since anything above is designed by guess-and-check and very complex. But a good low frequency piston might be possible.

Maybe I would make a voice coil with a separate winding, not too correlated to the driving winding, that could give me a motional feedback signal.

As previous wise persons said, best to use as much off the shelf parts as possible.

I'm going to start saving fridge magnets from now on.

Ben

You might need a bit more then fridge Magnets :)
For sure.

How do you figure motor force? In earlier times, you might be able to learn magnet weight - which manufacturers intentionally try to confuse you about because sometimes is the magnet per se and sometimes the whole magnetic structure (and also depends on the magnet's material).

Today you might get access to a spec for the BL product. Is that magnetism in the gap multiplied by number of turns in the gap?

So, is the way to judge motor forcefulness really the BL product adjusted for moving mass? Or do you need to correct for turns outside the gap? And correct for static resistance and inductance?

Ben

Last edited:
For sure.

How do you figure motor force? In earlier times, you might be able to learn magnet weight - which manufacturers intentionally try to confuse you about because sometimes is the magnet per se and sometimes the whole magnetic structure (and also depends on the magnet's material).

Today you might get access to a spec for the BL product. Is that magnetism in the gap multiplied by number of turns in the gap?

So, is the way to judge motor forcefulness really the BL product adjusted for moving mass? Or do you need to correct for turns outside the gap? And correct for static resistance and inductance?

Ben
My knowledge of dynamic loudspeakers does not extend so far to give any useful awnsers. So can't help you there.

Is it possible? Sure, Hentai did it on this very forum...
Is it worth? More complicated question because that all depends on what you're in the market for, what resources you have available to you and whether or not anything on the market fulfills your requirements.

In terms of resources: a CNC machine for metal parts, a degree in electromechanical engineering, some skill in finding suppliers and plenty of money and patience. Now those things all help and you certainly don't have to have them all but the less you have to work with, the harder is to build something that works.

In terms of what you're in the market for: when Hentai built his 12 inch full range field coil, he did it because there was nothing that really fit that that came off a shelf. Same for Solhaga and his AMT, no commercial AMT reaches to 300z but he wanted it and so he built it.

My school just picked up a CNC machine and 3D printer, so I may try something with them in the near future. If I do I will try and remember to report back to this thread because right now I'm seriously thinking about making (or at least trying to) a 1 inch exit compression with a CNC machined aluminum diaphragm like YG uses and a plastic body printed in 3D ( that's where I got the idea...), but anyway this all goes to my point on resources.
i am on the team that is responsible for building both the machine and printer, so I can tell you that this stuff cost some serious cash, as in 10k for the CNC machine (think its three axi) alone.

BTW, if you do pursue this further then just be warned that trying to clone a given driver is just too hard... Better to design your own at that point. Ask one of the moderators to please move this thread to the multiway section as you will surely get more answers there.
Regards,
Clashing

Is it possible? Sure, Hentai did it on this very forum...
Is it worth? More complicated question because that all depends on what you're in the market for, what resources you have available to you and whether or not anything on the market fulfills your requirements.

In terms of resources: a CNC machine for metal parts, a degree in electromechanical engineering, some skill in finding suppliers and plenty of money and patience. Now those things all help and you certainly don't have to have them all but the less you have to work with, the harder is to build something that works.

In terms of what you're in the market for: when Hentai built his 12 inch full range field coil, he did it because there was nothing that really fit that that came off a shelf. Same for Solhaga and his AMT, no commercial AMT reaches to 300z but he wanted it and so he built it.

My school just picked up a CNC machine and 3D printer, so I may try something with them in the near future. If I do I will try and remember to report back to this thread because right now I'm seriously thinking about making (or at least trying to) a 1 inch exit compression with a CNC machined aluminum diaphragm like YG uses and a plastic body printed in 3D ( that's where I got the idea...), but anyway this all goes to my point on resources.
i am on the team that is responsible for building both the machine and printer, so I can tell you that this stuff cost some serious cash, as in 10k for the CNC machine (think its three axi) alone.

dont forget Bernt aka Bandsei :)

Anyone build their own woofer drivers from scratch? Not worth it?

Just a thought provoker...
Well, I do.

In fact, I make and sell them commercially, both in my own cabinets and spares, also export them.

Built and sold over 10000 by now, lost count around 2006 .

729947235_5a0a641a7e_z.jpg

parlante-fahey-12-120-watts-hay-para-guitarra-y-bajo-249111-MLA20479679693_112015-O.jpg

parlante-fahey-12-120-watts-hay-para-guitarra-y-bajo-246111-MLA20479679709_112015-O.jpg

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.