Magnepan MG-Ib repair help

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Recently bought on ebay for 200 pounds, fairly good overall condition, they have already been repaired I suppose looking at the internals.

Two main problems:

1) one bass wire is unglued for about 15cm, this should be easy to fix just by regluing it in place, should I first clean the mylar? how?

2) the biggest one, one tweeter wire is broken at about the middle of it's lenght and is now floating away from the panel, it's still in it's full length.

I was expecting the tweeter broken speaker to not emit any high freq as the circuit should be open, but to my surprise with a tone generation (only said speaker connected) I can make it play clearly in the 5-7k region and in the 10-15k at high volume... Is it possible? Also what is the expected behaviour when no tweeter fuse is in place, no highs or just no protection? As sound is the same with and without fuse this would be a definitive answer to know if the tweeter is playing.

Do you think I can make it by just regluing the tweeter wire in place and adding a little thin wire to make the current pass, or no chance? I fear to do more damage to the speaker by attemping full reapir with a new kit.

Any advice is welcome, this is my first planar and I'm already (in the state they are) impressed to say at least.

Last edited:
You do know these speakers are over 30years old... most have wire prom........1984....go here for info on how to fix....
http://www.integracoustics.com/MUG/MUG/tweaks/index.html

or Call Magnepan.....you can get them re-worket for about the same money as a pr of new MMGs..............$599....I gess you got a great deal....an you look for info on that model before you gave what...$10-20......good luck

Last edited:
I got in touch with magnepan support already, what I'm asking here are very specific questions to my situation, I'm seeking the advice of the elders.

I know, I know about the amazing value of a pair of MMG + sub, still I'm happy very happy with the purchase, at 200 pounds discovering the planar world, with a taste of vintage furniture, is great value. They have already been repaired once I suppose and overall play surprisingly well.

Thanks for the link.

Last edited:
Two main problems:

1) one bass wire is unglued for about 15cm, this should be easy to fix just by regluing it in place, should I first clean the mylar? how?

Aceton for cleaning off old glue.

2) the biggest one, one tweeter wire is broken at about the middle of it's lenght and is now floating away from the panel, it's still in it's full length.

Do you think I can make it by just regluing the tweeter wire in place and adding a little thin wire to make the current pass, or no chance?

It is difficult to join the thin aluminium wires. Better to purchase new wiring from Magnepan.

During the winter Magnepan will not ship the glue. You can look for 3M Fastbond 30-NF Neutral and 3M 77 Spray Adhesive in your neighborhood.

For DIY repair Magnepan still recommends 3M 77 Spray Adhesive as the first step. Put the wire in place and cover it with the 3M 30-NF, as little as it takes - not more.

In production it is different as Magnepan spray the Mylar with 3M 30-NF.

A friend that helped me with my Tympani IVa midrange drivers, said he could not use 3M 30-NF alone, it just did not adhere well.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.