Quad 988 and home theater audio not cutting it

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Might as well be the same for the 63. I use these ocassionlly for home theater duities an they do not handle it well. Whenver a heavy continuos bass signal comes in both speakers panels flutter akin to a dynamic speaker bottoming. This is more prevalent in scenes where a spaceship engine is landing, etc, like in Prometheus and Europa Report. The speakers are not even receiving the full range signal though there is an 80 hz hp filter in my preamp for the Vandersteen SW.

time to fix them then. mine play fullrange , and plenty of low. ofcourse real subsonic bass should be played trough a sub. mine goes down to 50 hz or so. and my room is gaining some more. still i never seen them in protection or flap against front stator. so i wonder if your panels miight be up for an overhaul ?

maybe you got a ahuge living room ,or have a hearing problem :) my room is rather small so i dont need much more. i can imagine if you use 5 of these speakers in suround you got plenty of oemf, at least in my room.

measures 5 x 4 meters or so, sitting approx 2 meters aways from the pair. speakers are around half a meter to 1 meter from the rear wall

Last edited:
The way bi-amping greatly adds to the power of speaker systems is well known.

But I'm an adherent to the 400,000 Theory that says a good sounding system should have 400,000 as the result if you multiply lower and upper limits.

So that leads to me to ask about the range of the Quads? If their treble is all anyone could ask for as far as extension goes (since it is superior in other respect), is it suitable for bi-amping with a something to enhance the bass?

WrineX has started a good list of stuff that could be influential. Other factors too.

Ben

you cant bi amp a ESl63, its not build out of different drivers. i dont think biamping does anything serious, to be honest maybe micro details, when you run ur amp on the limit. wich is not the case :) (at least i hope) , i really think it might be a problem with the membrames. or you indeed drive them to their limit

This does not happen with cd regular music with heavy bass. Would there be any difference in say, blueray discs that the quads cannot handle. And this is not a high volume levels. All the panels have been reconditioned in the last 2 years or so....

yes there could be a diference for sure. movie sound effects have way more lows (if not proper mixed to the LFE), then usually found in music. still if you cross them at 80 hz this should not be a problem at all. if mine say put out 90 db at 50 hz (just as ref) yours, depending on the slope, could almost handle 6dB + or even more if it was a 12 db filter or even more :) we do have to consider the fact that we cant hear everything below 50hz verry well. so allot of the power will end up in compensating for our crappy hearing down low

Last edited:
I use 24 dB at 200Hz... I am considering to change to 150Hz.
Using a modyfied MT-Audio design filter.
10m long room, 7m behind the speakers and 3m between listening seat and speakers, sitting close to back wall.
Perfect for home cinema!!
Double Dayton IB 15" dipole speakers per side down to 25Hz, and then double bass reflex 200 liter with Morel 12" tuned to 10-25Hz. (will soon be changed to 4 x JBL 15" 2226H with motional feedback mounted with my garage as an "infinite" box (110 000 litre) ..

What loudness a driver or diaphragm can handle gets easier quickly as you go up in frequency.

I used a 24 dB/8ave at 140 Hz for many years. With a clean woofer and playing acoustic music, you could put a single mixed bass woofer anywhere without harming stereo. People who say 80 Hz are just exaggerating their powers of perception.

Ben

on my antique 5.1 receiver I can select where the bass goes. My options are sub only, mains, sub and mains. Even though I don't have a sub selecting the mains and sub seems to lesson the load on the mains. Doesn't matter with my speakers, the reason I know this is when I lose power the receiver defaults to sub and mains and I miss that ultra low end house rumbling movie crap lol

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.