Acoustat Center Speaker

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm considering building a Center Speaker for my system. Currently I have a pair of Acoustat Spectra 22's for the mains. I have a lead on a 9" Panel from a Monitor-4 and I can get some MK-141 Interfaces from the Acoustat Ones.

Any feedback, thoughts or comments anyone would have for this little project? I assume the MK-141 will work well with the 4 Panel.

It is my first foray into DIY and while I admit it's more of a "Combined Components" affair, ya gotta start somewhere.

I'm considering building a Center Speaker for my system. Currently I have a pair of Acoustat Spectra 22's for the mains. I have a lead on a 9" Panel from a Monitor-4 and I can get some MK-141 Interfaces from the Acoustat Ones.

Any feedback, thoughts or comments anyone would have for this little project? I assume the MK-141 will work well with the 4 Panel.

It is my first foray into DIY and while I admit it's more of a "Combined Components" affair, ya gotta start somewhere.

The MK-141 would be a fine choice for driving one or two panels as a center speaker. Keep in mind that the MK-141 is not a full-range interface (it's intended to be used along with a conventional woofer) so you won't get much below about 150 Hz. The frequency range is determined by the transformer design, so there's no way around that limitation. Attempting to drive more than two panels with the MK-141 won't harm the interface, but will likely result in a rolled-off top end. Go for it!

acoustat as centre channel

I have an earlier post showing my centre channel using a Model 1 that I modified by placing the panel in the middle of the of the frame and made it about 4" smaller in width..works very well wth my 6600's and model 2+2 and also in my other system with Sound lab 1A's with 1+1 in the rear using the other modified model 1 on its side on top of 2 Energy 18" xl subs under the 100" screen. They blend in so well with both systems.

Attachments

• Audio Systems 008.jpg
    Audio Systems 008.jpg
    497.6 KB · Views: 99
  • Audio Systems 010.JPG
    Audio Systems 010.JPG
    753.2 KB · Views: 101
Last edited:
The MK-141 would be a fine choice for driving one or two panels as a center speaker. Keep in mind that the MK-141 is not a full-range interface (it's intended to be used along with a conventional woofer) so you won't get much below about 150 Hz. The frequency range is determined by the transformer design, so there's no way around that limitation. Attempting to drive more than two panels with the MK-141 won't harm the interface, but will likely result in a rolled-off top end. Go for it!

Thanks again Andy! One last question, I assume the "Woofer Out" taps are full signal since there is no cross-over in the Interface, or is there actually a filter built in to provide just the sub-150Hz signal?

Heres the setup for the 3s............same type.... one less panel in the 22...when in fullrang .....just a 1 ohm res is in the input to the panels....crossover out.....crossover in...all above 100 to the panels....
10ohm to the bass output

Attachments

• 433506d1408222319-refurbishing-acoustat-2123-interface-have-s-spectra33-1-1-[1].jpg
    433506d1408222319-refurbishing-acoustat-2123-interface-have-s-spectra33-1-1-[1].jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 84
Last edited:
Heres the setup for the 3s............same type.... one less panel in the 22...when in fullrang .....just a 1 ohm res is in the input to the panels....crossover out.....crossover in...all above 100 to the panels....
10ohm to the bass output

Thanks Tyu, that gives me an idea of how the MK-2123 interface works with the selectable "Full Range", but on the MK-141, is that 10ohm always inline so the output is filtered to the woofer?

Thanks again Andy! One last question, I assume the "Woofer Out" taps are full signal since there is no cross-over in the Interface, or is there actually a filter built in to provide just the sub-150Hz signal?

The 'woofer' output on the MK-141 is full range, with the signal passing only through the fuse. It is set-up this way so that one can use the woofer system of your choice, with it's own low-pass crossover. The low-pass crossover components shown in the MK-141 schematic are internal to the Acoustat Model One woofer cabinet and not actually part of the interface.

The same answer applies to the woofer output on the Spectra's MK-2123 interface: it is full range. The only difference is that it is switch-selectable, so that one can either run the ESL full range with the woofer off, OR with the high-pass inserted into the ESL circuit with the woofer on.

Andy.........how about the C mod for the MK141...... ... is it like the Mk121C..........were the cap are dropet to 47mf...10mf....01mf...........an some diff res added............thanks for any an all input on Acoustats

Hmmm...good question. I really can't remember, although some years ago I did produce a spreadsheet listing all of the Acoustat speakers and corresponding interfaces, and it does list an MK-141C interface, which would indicate that the C-Mod was applied to the MK-141 as well.

Since the input network for the MK-121 and MK-141 are identical, it would be safe to assume that the C-Mod could be applied to the MK-141 as well, with similar advantages.

Yes I saw the MK141c on a interfaces Box...on the web.....so ok heres the C-mod...... an the MK121C.............less we ever forget....

Attachments

• 405185d1394568752-acoustat-mk-121-upgrades-mk-121c_upgrade-1-[1].gif
    405185d1394568752-acoustat-mk-121-upgrades-mk-121c_upgrade-1-[1].gif
    26.2 KB · Views: 66
  • 362325d1374834931-acoustat-2-2-c-mod-repair-mk-121c_xovr-5b1-5d-1-[1].gif
    362325d1374834931-acoustat-2-2-c-mod-repair-mk-121c_xovr-5b1-5d-1-[1].gif
    39.5 KB · Views: 55
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.