Just some crazy idea for studio monitors

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Well like the title says, just a crazy idea.
But hey, I was thinking, and thought "I want some more speakers to monitor my mixs.... Planars, ESLs or some thing would be freaking epic!!! And looks sweet as well!"

At the moment since I'm a poor producer and can't afford a nice pair KRKs, Focal professional, or any thing of that nature I'm using my pair of Peavey 1210H PA speakers and a Alesis solid state power amp.
Which do the job pretty well right now, and lets me hear how it would sound through a club system

But any way, I thought using ESLs or some other exotic speaker for reference monitors would be pretty cool.
So has anyone else thought about this? And most of all has anyone tried it?

I think it would be pretty cool, and of course I know you would have to have a cross over for the low end and more than likely use a normal speaker Hahahahaha

But any way I want to hear your thoughts and if you got pictures of your studio with them setup, please post them :)

Last edited:
Note that dipole speakers have really different sound dispersion pattern compared to normal box speakers (like most studio monitors). You can't place them close to a back wall, and ideally you should dampen/diffuse the back wave. Also if you sit really close to the speakers you probably want a small speaker.

One option is box speakers with AMT drivers and dynamic mids/woofers (similar to ADAM's studio monitors). AMT's have really low distortion and linear phase. However you might need a DSP to flatten the frequency response.

Yeah I was reading on another forum about a few people who where using ESLs for monitors, they said they need to be at least 3feet from the wall.
But they said they do sound amazing, and are great for classical music and such.

I do like that idea with the AMTs, it sounds interesting. I'm going to have to do some more research about them.

Maybe something like this would interest you. :)

Login

Sorry but you must now register and log in to see the threads, Unfortunately the pictures are gone and I have not had the time to replace them yet, I will try to do so sometime this summer.

Here are some pictures and real time calibrated measurements of my Desktop ESL system at 95db,

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/plan...ed-esl-altec-416-hybrid-subs.html#post4208272

I don't have a pair of them setup anymore/yet but below is my latest model as I have to build one more yet, also included are pictures of my setup during a recording session that I thought you might like to see. ;)

jer :)

Attachments

• Ready for The Diaphragm.jpg
    Ready for The Diaphragm.jpg
    168.3 KB · Views: 404
  • Live.jpg
    Live.jpg
    118.7 KB · Views: 397
  • Live2.jpg
    Live2.jpg
    115.7 KB · Views: 396
Last edited:
Maybe something like this would interest you. :)

Login

Sorry but you must now register and log in to see the threads, Unfortunately the pictures are gone and I have not had the time to replace them yet, I will try to do so sometime this summer.

Here are some pictures and real time calibrated measurements of my Desktop ESL system at 95db,

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/plan...ed-esl-altec-416-hybrid-subs.html#post4208272

I don't have a pair of them setup anymore/yet but below is my latest model as I have to build one more yet, also included are pictures of my setup during a recording session that I thought you might like to see. ;)

That is some freaking awesome work man! :)
It's pretty inspirational, to me any way.
I think I'm going to try and make a small pair.

Good Deal!!!
I would love for somebody else to give this a try and let me know what they think of them!!

I can't explain enough to you how impressed I am with the system and I haven't even heard a big system yet in person except for some ML's just before I had made them back in 2003.

I used painted widow screen for my First set, I plan on making another set just like them using the new techniques I have discovered since then.

The Diaphragm size is 3.25" wide X 9.75" long (or longer) and a D/S of .075" to .100".
I pretty high Bias voltage (+3.5Kv-8Kv) and a fairly high stepup ratio of + 1:150 just to give you some guidelines.

The voltages need not be as high as i had stated for them to work, I just try to get every ounce of efficiency that I can out of them.

Stator coating is of the utmost importance for any ESl to work.
But more so with these since the surface area is much much smaller.
Higher voltages compensate for this to a degree and there is a achievable limit as well.
See this thread,

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/plan...tric-coatings-fact-fiction-2.html#post2894427

Cheers !!!!

Good Deal!!!
I would love for somebody else to give this a try and let me know what they think of them!!

I can't explain enough to you how impressed I am with the system and I haven't even heard a big system yet in person except for some ML's just before I had made them back in 2003.

I used painted widow screen for my First set, I plan on making another set just like them using the new techniques I have discovered since then.

The Diaphragm size is 3.25" wide X 9.75" long (or longer) and a D/S of .075" to .100".
I pretty high Bias voltage (+3.5Kv-8Kv) and a fairly high stepup ratio of + 1:150 just to give you some guidelines.

The voltages need not be as high as i had stated for them to work, I just try to get every ounce of efficiency that I can out of them.

Stator coating is of the utmost importance for any ESl to work.
But more so with these since the surface area is much much smaller.
Higher voltages compensate for this to a degree and there is a achievable limit as well.
See this thread,

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/plan...tric-coatings-fact-fiction-2.html#post2894427

Cheers !!!!

Sweet!!! Thanks for the info man! I'll be sure to make a build threes once I start.

Studio tech, that is exact some of the stuff I'm talking about!

Sreten, I never said they where good great hahahaha.
But they do get the job done, and I reference my mix multiple setups, like any mix should be.

But like I said, this is about exotics not about the normal cone based speakers. Because I could always just go get a pair of presonus monitors. But I want to try some thing different, and I want to hear other peoples results.

I've read about a few people using really high end ESLs for mastering, but their aren't to many people who do this.

I also don't plan on using them on their own, I was going ti use them for the highs and mid range :)

But thank you for your input and concern, I really do appreciate it. :)

Last edited:
Hi,

The speakers you are using for monitoring are utterly dreadful.
I don't care what you compare them to, they are awful for the job.
Using them for mastering is crime against any common sense.

The idea of pairing them up with something exotic makes utterly
no sense compared to first getting some great simple speakers.

I really think you don't understand what monitor quality really means.

rgds, sreten.

Hi,

The speakers you are using for monitoring are utterly dreadful.
I don't care what you compare them to, they are awful for the job.
Using them for mastering is crime against any common sense.

The idea of pairing them up with something exotic makes utterly
no sense compared to first getting some great simple speakers.

I really think you don't understand what monitor quality really means.

rgds, sreten.

Well first off, I never said I was pairing my Peavey's with any thing else.
I was going to pair the ESLs with a some thing like JBL speakers, or even trying to make some other exotic and pair it with them.
And why not? experimenting is fun! And doing things different is fun!
I don't care if it is going to be hard, I'm good when it comes to make things, and everyone has to start some where. Where do you think all this company's you buy from came about?
Some one had to try it first, so if I fail oh well, it just about a little bit of money lost and a lot of well spent time learning, I'll just move on and buy a pair of 8" monitors.
It's not like I said I'll never buy a pair of monitors, I just rather build a pair of exotics that are monitors, if I can. Which does seem doable, and from what I've read, it is possible to use a really good set of ESLs as monitors.

But like I said, this is about exotics, please contribute to the topic if you are going to post.
I'm not trying to be mean or anything, I just want this thread to stay on topic and that would be exotics as monitors.

Hi,

Like I said :

"I really think you don't understand what monitor quality really means."

Doing things different in studios is just a recipe for pointless disaster,
not that you have a real studio in any sensible philosophy. There is
no "studio" topic for using exotics as monitors. Your self-indulgent.

And pretentious. This has nothing to do with studio monitoring.

rgds, sreten.

I would say I do, since studio monitors are just a set of speakers with a flat response, phase, so this leading to a clean undistorted sound translation.
So if I can achieve these things than that is all that matters.
If guys like Scott Dorsey and Pierre Sprey can do it, I don't see why I can't.

I'm the type of guy that goes out and makes his own guitar, writes his own software, car parts and such.
So either way, I am going to try it.

I don't see why you care so much, after all it's not your money or time being spent.
And I don't see why you have to start saying that I'm pretentious and self indulgent, all I did was start a thread asking if there where other individuals with the same thoughts. You don't have to post if you don't like the topic.

Phazer99, I would say that the Adam's monitors count, their X-ART midrange driver has a range of 400hz-20khz from what their website says, that's pretty impressive.

And thanks for that link to that thread, it was a really good read with lots of good information.
The more I read about AMTs the more I'm impressed and interested by them, because from what I've been reading their range is really broad and have a fairly flats response.

I would say I do, since studio monitors are just a set of speakers with a flat
response, phase, so this leading to a clean undistorted sound translation.
So if I can achieve these things than that is all that matters.
If guys like Scott Dorsey and Pierre Sprey can do it, I don't see why I can't.

I'm the type of guy that goes out and makes his own guitar, writes his own
software, car parts and such. So either way, I am going to try it.

I don't see why you care so much, after all it's not your money or time being spent.
And I don't see why you have to start saying that I'm pretentious and self
indulgent, all I did was start a thread asking if there where other individuals
with the same thoughts. You don't have to post if you don't like the topic.

Hi,

So lets get this right. Your current monitors are grim because
you can't afford any decent ones. But you want to discuss
using exotica you don't really understand as monitors ?
(In ways that make absolutely no sense.)

Yes, I'm quite sure your going to do it anyway, you don't
want to discuss it, you basically want to be agreed with.

You don't understand the subject under "discussion".
And quite clearly don't want to, as you already "do".

Seems to me you wouldn't know a good pair of
monitor speakers from something entirely wrong.

rgds, sreten.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.