Just some crazy idea for studio monitors

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,

So lets get this right. Your current monitors are grim because
you can't afford any decent ones. But you want to discuss
using exotica you don't really understand as monitors ?
(In ways that make absolutely no sense.)

Yes, I'm quite sure your going to do it anyway, you don't
want to discuss it, you basically want to be agreed with.

You don't understand the subject under "discussion".
And quite clearly don't want to, as you already "do".

Seems to me you wouldn't know a good pair of
monitor speakers from something entirely wrong.

rgds, sreten.

Well it's only for the time being because of other expenses ( cracked laptop screen, school and other things,) I'm in the slow season of my job and my headphones broke.
So I'm making do with what I have for now, as I love the genres of music that I make, so I don't see why I should stop doing what brings me joy because my gear isn't exactly up to par. I got the speaker set for $50 about 2 years ago and my power amp for free.
But I do have my eye on eventually this year getting a set of EVENT 2030.

But this is just an experiment, I want to see how well I can make some ESL midranges.
And didn't say I wanted to be agreed with, I just want reasons, if you have reasons why it won't work, than state them. Don't just tell me it won't work, leave it at that and expect me to take your word for it.
But I want to try it, because I found a few threads on gearslutz and I keep seeing mixed reviews and thoughts. So the only way for me to know for my self is to make a small set and find out.

But I am sorry :( I missed the part in your fist post where said they should be paired.
And where you said good monitors and posted that link, to that kit, it seemed like you where saying I should just give up and not try it. I'm sorry if that is not what you meant, but that is how it came across to me.

And you say I don't know, why don't you enlighten me or give me some references? And if i need to listen and compair to commercially prodyced monitors, then I can go to my friends studio, if that is the case. I need facts, not it just word. I'm sure there are others out there that are curious besides.

So if it shows up in the scope with flat and low amounts of phase and flat frequency response, isn't that the goal of reference monitors? ( this isn't a rhetorical question.) That is what I gathered from reading, so if this is wrong, not 100% correct or I'm missing info, please enlighten me. Because I'm trying to learn here and get stuff right

But any way, ESLs seem like they would do well for midrange and highs, since from what I've read they do have a flat respone and flat minimal phase distortion. So I don't get why it hasn't been experimented with more. I get that di polar pattern isn't quite the best to have, but if I acoustic treat the whole back wall of the room I'm using them in, I don't think it will be to much of a problem? But we will find out.

Just so you know, I'm not upset with you any way, I'm just trying to better understand and keep it on topic.

Last edited:
Hi,

The simple fact is there are not others in the same boat
as you who are at all curious about your conjectures.

Your conjectures have no basis in fact, but you want facts.

Fact is your technical understanding is simplistic idealism.

Forget about making ESL midranges, you have no idea.

Just get a decent pair of monitors for a start, and get
on with doing your stuff, exotic monitors are a total
irrelevance to nearly all sensible typical mastering.

Unless you do classical, for a uber hifi label.

rgds, sreten.

Last edited:
well its harsh... but beter spend the money on a second hand Rockets KRK. they are cheap and for a beginner a pretty decent monitor. you say that you cant afford KRK then you cant afford an exotic ESL, better save that money and buy a set. sell ur other setup and you are there. mastering on a ESL is hard, since it just sounds diferent on normal speakers. and the majority of ur customers will have normal speakers. for nearfield just buy some KRK's or buy some passive goos monitors and use ur old amp. it beter then PA and still translates better then the ESL's (especially an hybrid) and clubmusic on a fullrange is not going to give you te result you want in a club in the end. :)

well its harsh... but beter spend the money on a second hand Rockets KRK. they are cheap and for a beginner a pretty decent monitor. you say that you cant afford KRK then you cant afford an exotic ESL, better save that money and buy a set. sell ur other setup and you are there. mastering on a ESL is hard, since it just sounds diferent on normal speakers. and the majority of ur customers will have normal speakers. for nearfield just buy some KRK's or buy some passive goos monitors and use ur old amp. it beter then PA and still translates better then the ESL's (especially an hybrid) and clubmusic on a fullrange is not going to give you te result you want in a club in the end. :)

Thanks for your reply, I've actually been looking around the used market for monitors, and I am currently saving up. I actually went and bought a new pair of headphones (AKG m80 mkII, they where on sale for under $30) for the time being.
I've actually thought about selling my PA speakers, but then I wouldn't have anything to do private and smaller shows. (I DJed a lot more than I produced, but I'm trying to do my own stuff now.)
I still want to experiment, like I said it's just a crazy idea, so it's nothing to take to serious, just want to see what I can squeeze out of some crazy ideas. Some times you just gotta try things because it's fun and brings you joy, you know?
But yeah I'm getting some monitors.
I'm also looking at constructing some monitors with AMTs or Planars with a 7"-8", speaker since that doesn't seem to far fetched, I've been doing research on cabinet construction and stuff, so we will see.

Last edited:
dont let us stop you from trying stuff that gives you joy!, i have made allot of **** that in the end was not worth the money or effort. except being fun to make. and learned from it ofcourse. but i do work in the television circuit, and editing sound i do mostly at home with some genelecs, then mix in a proper studio. its the only set that stays, not because they are great but i just need them for work. besides these i can make whatever i feel like to make. as long as i dont have to earn my money working with them.

i bought my small genelec 1019A with rotten woofer suround for 150 euro, and refoamed them myself. just keep an eye out for this kind of bargains.

The ELS63 have been the standard monitor for classical recordings.

well i doubt that to be honest. i know there are a few labels that uses ESl63 for classical recordings. Phillips(long time ago) classical label used audiostatics for a while as well. (pretty dumb choice but ok) i dont think they are used more then normal monitors. it htink its almost hard to find a studio with ESl63 in use.

BMR based studio monitor

Hi guys,

If you can get some good BMR's over in the USA it might be worth experimenting a bit?
We are working on an active studio monitor using our silk surround BMR's with an OEM 12 inch bass driver made by Precision Devices.
Most BMRs need Eq'ing to some degree so a good DSP is required, you can of course do this at sourse ie in your PC / DAW with good plugins or software.

We are using a built in DSP we are developing with our partners at Manchester university, its based on the amazing Signal Wizard Systems Home and being developed by Professor of DSP, Patrick Gaydecki, so its going to be rather special....!

Long story short, BMR's need a lot of work to get right, but if you are prepared to put in the effort they rock!

All the best
Derek.

Attachments

• CIA studio monitor 12 - 4.jpg
    CIA studio monitor 12 - 4.jpg
    109 KB · Views: 106
Faster more accurate mixing and mastering....

Yea, for sure, its costing loads to design....!

But we will be bringing a new level of accuracy and efficiency to mixing and mastering....Price will be similar to the existing high end studio monitors, but the performance and the time saved will be astonishing.

Cheers
D.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.