Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Planars & Exotics ESL's, planars, and alternative technologies

Mundorf AMT 27d
Mundorf AMT 27d
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 9th February 2015, 09:09 AM   #1
annerholm is offline annerholm  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Default Mundorf AMT 27d

Hi,
I've been looking at these Mundorf AMT 27d tweeters as a possible candidate for an OB project. Impressive specs and a possible low xo could make it possible to pair them with double 6.5" woofers and a ripole sub. IMO these could also solve some problems when trying to achieve constant directivity in a dipole set up, and also keep it a 3-way and not 4-way (incl sub).
Here it is: http://www.lautsprechershop.de/pdf/m...f_amt27d11.pdf
Some questions still:
Impedance 12 ohm - high isn't it? Why?
If pairing it with two 6.5" woofers in a MMT xo would be nice to have down at 1600Hz - possible?

If anyone have experience from these it would be really interesting to know, or just to hear your general opinon! Or if you have used som of the other Mundorf AMT in the dipole series.

Best wishes,
Anders
Old 10th February 2015, 07:35 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Any comment appreciated:-)

Last edited by annerholm; 10th February 2015 at 07:36 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 10th February 2015, 11:58 AM   #3
Keith Taylor is offline Keith Taylor  Australia
diyAudio Member

Mundorf AMT 27d
For a transducer of that height the vertical radiation pattern was always going to be narrow, something the plots confirm. The sound of the AMT is going to change between standing up and sitting down.

Some people may be able to live with this: I am not among them.

Keith
Old 10th February 2015, 12:15 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

But wouldn't that apply to the smaller ones in the same Mundorf series? Basically it's just the height that differs, otherwise they have the same construction (except different bandwith of course). In the case of vertical dispersion the 27d would be superior to those. Or am I missing something here - is there anything that gives a higher (longer) AMT a more narrow vertical dispersion?
The other ones:
http://www.lautsprechershop.de/pdf/m...f_amt17d21.pdf
http://www.lautsprechershop.de/pdf/m...f_amt23d11.pdf
http://www.lautsprechershop.de/pdf/m...f_amt25d11.pdf
Old 11th February 2015, 08:40 AM   #5
phazer99 is offline phazer99  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by annerholm View Post
Or am I missing something here - is there anything that gives a higher (longer) AMT a more narrow vertical dispersion?
Yes, as the sound wavelength becomes shorter relative to the dimension of the driver it starts acting more like a line source than a point source. The relation between driver height and vertical dispersion is clearly noticable in the vertical SPL plots of the different drivers you link to. Whether this is good or bad depends on your application.

If you gonna XO close to the driver FS you need a really steep (high order) HP filter to minimize the effects of harmonic distortion. I would use digital filters and bi-amping. Looks like an interesting project, please post progress reports

Last edited by phazer99; 11th February 2015 at 08:43 AM.
Old 11th February 2015, 09:00 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Ok, I think I get it. Thanks for the feedback.
If I compare to the smaller AMT 25d (about half the size), that one has a very good vertical dispersion at 5 deg. Compared to the 27d it would have a wider vertical dispersion already from about 1m, and a lot a more at 3m. Maybe that one would be better?
Problem is, it wouldn't be able to xo as low as I thought, when pairing it with two 6.5" (which I'm quite keen to do). Also the 25d is not as good as the 27d in keeping a true dipole pattern as high up as possible because it's wider dimension. Maybe it's pick my poision... Or?

phazer99: yes, the setup would be with to Hypex AS2.100d, and sub out.
Old 11th February 2015, 09:19 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

You should also consider using the Dayton Audio AMTPRO-4 instead, as it's much cheaper and has lower Fs (but worse efficiency and power handling).

For greater vertical dispersion (and less distortion) you can always stack two of them vertically.

Last edited by phazer99; 11th February 2015 at 09:22 AM.
Old 11th February 2015, 10:05 AM   #8
solhaga is offline solhaga  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by phazer99 View Post
For greater vertical dispersion (and less distortion) you can always stack two of them vertically.
How can that be? Would that be more or less the same as having one long?
Old 11th February 2015, 10:31 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by solhaga View Post
How can that be? Would that be more or less the same as having one long?
Yes, this is the principle of the line array system. If placed close enough the drivers (almost) form a line source.

Last edited by phazer99; 11th February 2015 at 10:34 AM.
Old 11th February 2015, 10:35 AM   #10
solhaga is offline solhaga  Sweden
diyAudio Member

But wouldn't it then be less vertical dispersion with two AMT on top of each other and not greater?

Last edited by solhaga; 11th February 2015 at 10:43 AM.

Mundorf AMT 27dHide this!Advertise here!