Martin Logan Panels

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I just recalled that I had some unused (aside from testing) ML CLS (I believe?) panels in the basement of my old house, so I took a trip to grab them.

I guess my first question is if there is any preventive maintenance I should be considering before starting a project. I've kept them wrapped in paper in the 7 years I've owned them.

The plan at this point is to pair them up with a quad of AE Dipole 15s and run them in hybrid mode.

I've got to do some research to figure out the proper bias supply and transformers I'll need for the interface. I think I can get the 4-5kv bias supply working without too much effort and was thinking of starting out with some Antek power toroids to begin with and then decide what to do if the performance isn't up to par.

Since I'll be relieving some of the bass duties, I also have to figure out the best method to high pass the panels.

Open to ideas or suggestions since the plans are in their infancy.

Hi...
I'm really sorry for highjacking the thread for a split-second here, but I don't know how to contact Tyu otherwise...
Tyu, I send you a few personal messages several weeks ago, but you never answered. Didn't you receive these PM's or did you choose to ignore me? If you don't want to asnswer it is of course your right to do so. I would just like to know so I may ask somebody else.
...and dnewma04, sorry for the interruption again.

Regards MRoerup

Joined 2005
Paid Member
What parts are you looking for? Do you still have the Acoustat MK-121?

I also have a set of CLS being driven by some MK-121. You will find you have to drop from 5k volts to 3500 - 3900k volts (pulling a cap/diode pair will do it), or the panel will buzz.

I have quite a few extra Acoustat interface parts - let me know if you need some. I also have a set of interfaces that have a pair of Antek Transformers I installed in a MK-141 chassis along with the stock bias tranny and circuit.

I have a Shackman EL84 "Direct Drive" amp board I was going to place in the MK-121 chassis for the next test...driven from 200hz and up...

tyu - haven't forgot about you - your bass trannies and resistors will be out tomorrow am...

Last edited:
Doesn't Russ at justrealmusic.com sell supplies?

New Page 2

- - - well, Russ has in the past, {B3 Bias @ $75}, and justrealmusic.com lists them still, HOWEVER; getting ANY kind of response from him is Quite Frustrating. Several emails and a phone call have resulted Only in a vague, "...might make another run of boards to build on in the next few weeks...".

Sent him pictures of the two I already purchased, just to be certain we're talking the same B3 Bias. "B3" is marked on them, so I've asked him what he needs via PayPal for three shipped... HOWEVER, SEVERAL EMAILS OUT WITH NO REPLY WHATSOEVER!

I'm just about to give up on both Russ and ESL as a result.:mad:

ML ESLs can be a paIN.....i have Acoustats, Apogee an Magnepans to run too when i get lost an tired .....with my mods an re-working the ML panels...most think not....but the bias has a lot to do with the sound of any esl....
ML did a great job in the 90s ....then thay went off shore with there bias boards...i have had 3 of the new type die....none of my 20 are more ML older bias boards have failed....i set the bias up to stay on all the time....sound so much better....
After haveing an re-woring the panels on all...
Aerius i,SL3, Aeon i, Ascent,Acent i,Odyessy,Re-qust,Prodigys
the SL3 with the re-work Odyessy panels sound the best....of all it must be the older type wood side boards....that hold the panels better... wood turns vibs into heat an it moves off the panels better ...an wood just sounds better ....
than the newer type frames..that well let the panels slip out an rip the feed wire right off...hehe..
o,well that drops the $$ to nothing....work for me...

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.