Graphene Speakers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2006
Paid Member

Attachments

• Screenshot.gif
    Screenshot.gif
    81.4 KB · Views: 932
Last edited:
I have seen this! There is great potential for Graphene; semi conductors, touchscreens, super capacitors, batteries, etc...... The list endless!
2 dimensional, stronger then diamonds and a 100 times more conductive then copper.
As far as I know, Graphene is still in its infancy and not mass produced.
I see audio speakers making a great leap in sound quality when Graphene is easily manufactured.
If you find any updates, post them here.

Yes, Graphene is a single layer (a molecule thick) of graphite. A simple Google search will explain what Graphene is. In my post I didn't reference Graphene to be a coating on the diaphragm. My thought was that it would be a replacement to mylar as a diaphragm. It would have to be a lot more then a molecule thick just to handle it. Being very conductive, the Graphene will need to have some sort of resistive coating, or maybe it could be manufactured in a staggered pattern to reduce the flow of electrons..... Not sure, but the potential of better sound quality is there with the use of Graphene.

But maybe it could be used for ribbon -speakers and -microphones and also for condenser microphones

Regards

Charles

Edit:

Forgot to mention: While a cone for a speaker couldn't be made with graphene only, maybe it could be used as coating on both sides of a cone. Or nanotubes could be used as filler for cone materials.

Last edited:
Such considered insight

Hi,

Graphene is a single layer of graphite and this thread is utter nonsense.

rgds, sreten.

Actually polymers reinforced with graphene are believed to be very strong. A single layer may not of itself do the trick, however, like carbon fibre and graphite, they are made up with resins and are compressed - so if truth be told this is not nonsense.

I am of the personal view that a loudspeaker cone with a Rohacell core, a carbon fibre/polymer skin reinforced with graphene should achieve the following:
1. very low weight
2. very stiff

this means that the drivers will manage to track and follow the dynamics of sound very well.

In addition to this - graphene is not toxic like beryllium, nor expensive lie diamond, and is flexible unlike ceramics.

Aside from the thrill of cooking up some graphene, I was delighted to discover I am already on the way with the "Avery" frame* they used.

Graphene has been in threads for a couple of seasons now apropos ESLs. No question in my mind this is going to be a valuable technology for the future, even if not quite DIY sphere. Likes ESLs, it means moving light-as-air surfaces to make sound (and the air providing degenerative feedback) instead of shaking heavy cardboard cones without feedback.

Ben
*I have a whole box of those "Avery" stick-on frames in my office. They are known as "ring binder reinforcements" ... you glue them over damaged punch-holes in your 3-ring binder paper (if you are old enough to know what a 3-ring binder is). Or maybe a big-brother to the ring-binder reinforcements. I had a big chuckle when I realized what this high-tech item is.

Last edited:
As for now graphene is always used on a substrate like plastic , it's of no use for electrostatic speakers since it not a self supporting film yet. It does gone inpact the ribbon technology. Better conductor means more spl, lighter in weight means higher spl. Or cheaper magnet structures.

It will revolutionize power caps and their size. Everyone complains about dirty mains power - enter graphene batteries with the real world potential to store 50 or 100 x existing battery types.

I want to escape the clutches of big brother - in France where I live his name is EDF - electricitie de france. With graphene batteries and efficient new generation wind turbines I will never need to be connected to EDF and with a back up generator this is guaranteed.

With modern inverters (preferably using transformers rather than mosfets) with AVR - automatic voltage regulation I shall have spike and brown out free stable power - huge implications for PSU configurations - bring it on.

Now Graphene earphones...

Thanks much. Very interesting and described with academic-like care in that little write-up.

Diaphragms made from glued-together snippets of graphene. So only as good as the glue.

But what about the massive weight of the voice coil?

Yes, can't be long before we find it in speakers, hopefully not the ancient Rice-Kellogg design.

B.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.