How To Measure Capacitance of Panel

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I read in this forum that one critical variable is the capacitance of the panel.

Topic Question: How exactly do I use my multimeter to correctly measure that capacitance?

My Martin Logan Monolith III panels are not connected to anything yet...so why can't I simply put one test lead on the front stator wire and the other lead on the rear stator wire to measure the capacitance?

I know little to nothing about panel capacitance so I would kindly appreciate any help in demystifying panel capacitance. But the main topic here is exactly how do i determine that capacitance.

kind thanks,
Eddie

If your DMM can measure capacitance you simply connect it to the stators and read the reading on the display.

Make sure that you have fully discharged the panel First by connecting all Three of the wired to the panel together for a few minutes or even hours as YMMV.

Another method is to measure its dimensions to find its capacitance.
This calculator will help you,

Parallel Plate Capacitor Capacitance Calculator

Try to be as accurate as you can with the stator to stator spacing as this can make quite a bit of difference in the calculation.

But it will give you a good general ballpark estimation of the capacitance of your panel if you do not have a DMM with a capacitance measurement function.

jer :)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.