Ideas for BG Neo 8

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi;
I have been rightfully steered in the correct direction by several of the forum members. (thanks !).
I now have 4 BG Neo 8 looking for a project. As much as I've searched, I haven't been able to find a single wiring diagram that specifically calls for Neo 8's.
THere must be hundreds of Neo8's in very good homemade speakers, just cannot find them. Ideas and Pictures welcome.
No sensurround or home theater systems please, I don't even have a TV room. A good music room yes, no TV in it.

Note: I have not used these speakers, but I have read the manufacturer's literature.

The B&G Neo 8 is typically used in two-way or three-way systems. It will operate up to nearly 20kHz, so you may not require an additional tweeter. It has a significant resonance above 10kHz, with nearly a 10dB peak up around 12kHz or so. Some can live with this, particularly if their normal listening position is off axis. For others B&G recommends a notch filter in the crossover network, and component values are given in the product's "white paper", available at Parts Express. If you intend to use a different tweeter for smoother response you will have to use a relatively steep crossover slope below that peak, and consider keeping the notch filter.

How low you want the Neo 8 to go depends on the volume level you will need to reproduce. Be aware that there are 3 different Neo 8 models; the original version, the PDR version, and the newest S version. The PDR offers improved dispersion at higher frequencies but has a bit less excursion capability than the original, and the S was designed with more excursion capability than the original. I have never seen any hard numbers to figure out how much SPL can be produced at a given frequency. B&G literature indicates a Neo 8 can be used down to 220 Hz, but not at what volume level. For longevity you should probably crossover higher. B&G recommends 500 Hz for Hi-Fi and home theater use. Be realistic about their capability. If you like your music loud, crossover higher. I'd suggest 400Hz-500Hz minimum for a pair at moderate levels, and maybe 1kHz if you like to crank it up.

The Neo 8 is rated at 4 ohms, with a dc resistance slightly below that. They are almost purely resistive, so they should respond well to textbook crossovers. A pair wired in series should be right around 8 ohms. The notch filter will have to be adapted for this. Doubling the resistor value should be close enough, though if you aren't afraid of math you might consider calculating your own. Most woofers are less sensitive than the Neo 8, so you will have to L-pad the volume down to match.

Also, the Neo 8 is an open back design, so you have to make a sub-enclosure for them or use an open baffle.

Consider the Aino gradient thread in multiway section also. You find many measurements of the Neo8 without enclosure.

I believe here Studiostevus maid a good closed monitor with Neo8s... He has excellent advices.

Hey, that's me....Studiotech. Still trying to finish the final, cosmetically perfect version, but been using the monitor now for the last year. You are right Eldam, I am using the Neo8-S version. Here's a photo with the piece of test baffle wood. Real baffle will be dyed bamboo plywood.

Attachments

• IMG_7003.jpg
    IMG_7003.jpg
    837.7 KB · Views: 490
  • prototype monitor.JPG
    prototype monitor.JPG
    89.4 KB · Views: 488
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.