ESL transformer question

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I know, real music is different then test signals.

But don't try 300W long time, these transformers are not made for these conditions. The core will heat up and the wires too. (and the high voltage + arcing is also dangerous)

For a good esl design you not need big amplifiers, just an avarage 50W is more then enough.

An an Quad 303 plays very loud on a Quad esl.

Hi,

I have just inspected a quad ESL 63 core. Lamination thickness seems to be standard 0.3mm. Furthermore time-tested arrays of toroids show reasonably low distortion and no heating up with audio frequencies. Anyway difference between peak and average output of music is high and most energy is concentrated below about 300 Hz. What I wanted to say is that even typical 0.3mm SiFE material can be good enough for ESL step-ups. For a tube output trannie the story may be different due to higher source impedance.

Regards,
Lukas.

Something as this can happen:

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Hi BuyDIY
Because ESLs are voltage driven and draw little current, the power rating of the transformer is not really relevant for ESL applications. From an ESL perspective, the only specs that are important are the step-up ratio, secondary voltage rating, and mains frequency. Equally important are the transformer properties that are not in the spec sheets: leakage inductance and winding capacitance.

Step-up ratio: interpretation is obvious.

Secondary voltage rating and mains frequency: as Jer has explained, the voltage rating is proportional to frequency. So a transformer with secondaries rated for 6Vrms at 50 Hz, can be used at 12 V rms at 100 Hz, etc. If you exceed the voltage on the winding, the transformer core will saturate presenting a low impedance to the amplifier, resulting in high currents and distortion – possibly a dead amp if it’s not protected.

Leakage inductance: comes about from imperfect coupling between two transformer windings on the same core. One or other of the windings will be incompletely coupled to the other and it will appear, from an electronic point of view, to have an extra inductance in series with the winding. This is the leakage inductance, L. Typical values are a few millihenries on the high-voltage side.

Winding capacitance: comes about from three effects (i) capacitance between adjacent turns of the same winding, (ii) capacitance between one of the windings and the transformer core, and (ii) capacitance between the turns of different windings. When you use just two transformers on an ESL in the usual push-pull arrangement, the various capacitances can be treated as a single winding capacitance, C. Typical values are many tens of picofarads, perhaps a few hundred picofarads. The resonant frequency of the transformer is given by fo=1/(2.Pi.sqrt(L.C)) – typically 50 kHz to 130 kHz for toroids. This is the ‘unloaded’ resonant frequency.

When you use the transformer with the ESL, you have to add the ESL capacitance (500pf to 2000 pF) to the winding capacitance. This is the loaded resonant frequency, can easily drop below 20 kHz. The loaded resonant frequency is a good measure of the bandwidth of the transformer-ESL system. You can see why a small leakage inductance is desirable – however, there are compromises – see later). Low inductance is necessary if you want high-step up ratios, higher voltage ratings, lower operating frequencies, or any combination of these.

When you use multiple transformers in an ESL by connecting the high-voltage windings in series and the low voltage windings in parallel. Two things happen: Firstly, the leakage inductances add in series (as Jer surmised). This bit is simple. The way the capacitances behave is more complicated. The capacitances within one winding and between the core and secondary winding appear to add in series (so that capacitance gets smaller.) At the same time all of the capacitances between the two windings add in parallel, so that part gets bigger.

As a result you can connect two or three transformers together without changing the unloaded resonant frequency very much. After that, the resonant frequency falls in proportion to the square root of the number of toroids, but with care you can use up to 8 or 10 toroidal transformers to form a single ‘compound transformer’.

There is a practical upper limit to the VA ratings of the transformers used in ESLs; If you keep the leakage inductance too low with large transformers, the bandwidth of the system becomes limited by the series resistance in the windings.

Also if you have too high a step-up ratio (say 200 for arguments sake), then any inductance in the amplifier output (zero to 10 microhenry depending on design) or the speaker leads (about 1 microhenry), is transformed to the ESL side. If it is 10 microhenry on the low voltage side, then the equivalent inductance on the high voltage side is 10 uH x 200^2 = 400 mH, which is too high.

Hope this is helpful
Rod

Hi,

who talked about 300W?? ;)
But You´re right in that a efficient ESL design doesn´t need powerful amps to play very loud -though there seem to be differences about the term ´loud´ ;)
My panels -and ML´s probabely too- just warm up where the Quads already end. :rolleyes:
The smaller panel with 1.1nF of capacitance and 0.3m² area just needs a well done 20W amp and for the larger panel with its 2.2nF capacitance and 0.6m² membrane area, the merely 50W delivering Kronzilla Tubes are perfectly sufficient to drive the panels close to their limits.
At shows guests always wondered about how just so few Watts could drive such a big ESL-system to ear shattering levels.

jauu
Calvin

In ancient times, we all used tube output transformers. I still have a bunch - like a pair from the famous ultra-linear Dynaco "Stereo 70" amp and a pair of Thordarson 6V6 transformers are driving my ESL tweets.

Are these transformers suitable for ESLs like we used to think? Or do they have various shortcomings?*

Ben
*Granted, not feasible to buy a classic pair today due to stratospheric prices.

Last edited:
In my opinion serious shortcomings. Step-up is (to)low and not made to drive capacitive loads, probebly the frequency respons is not so good.

In ancient times, we all used tube output transformers. I still have a bunch - like a pair from the famous ultra-linear Dynaco "Stereo 70" amp and a pair of Thordarson 6V6 transformers are driving my ESL tweets.

Are these transformers suitable for ESLs like we used to think? Or do they have various shortcomings?*

Ben
*Granted, not feasible to buy a classic pair today due to stratospheric prices.

In my opinion serious shortcomings. Step-up is (to)low and not made to drive capacitive loads, probebly the frequency respons is not so good.

I certainly make no claim to understanding these things but...

Ratio for my Thordarsons is (1) 10-kohm on one side to (2) the tiny winding between say the 4- and 8-ohm taps on the other side... what is that ratio?

As far as frequency response, they sure cover the range when used as output transformers and have a substantial amount of iron in 'em.

And they sure were used a lot in the old days and looked vastly beefier than what you'd ever find in store-bought ESL speakers*.

Ben
*Except for Dayton-Wights with 39-lb transformers

Last edited:
For the best solution you need to look at the frequency response of the combination you want, for each phase (See also the plot from the Sowter i uploaded before). You can do that for an unloaded transformer and a capacitive load.

Secondly you need an impedance plot on a double logorithmic scale so you can see wich impedance is the most friendly for you amplifier.

Last edited:
1:50 at best.

If 10k to 4-ohms if 50:1

and 10k to 8 is 35:1

is 10k to 4-8 taps 67:1?

Aside from the basic turns ratio, what about other aspects of these audio output transformers that make them suitable or unsuitable?

I'm sure I'm not the only person with old tube output transformers - both fancy and plain - in their parts box or know where to buy two.

Ben

Last edited:
You can use a doorbel transformer as well. All these transformers will work for an esl only they sound a bit different and your amplifier has to work harder.

If 10k to 4-ohms if 50:1

and 10k to 8 is 35:1

is 10k to 4-8 taps 67:1?

Aside from the basic turns ratio, what about other aspects of these audio output transformers that make them suitable or unsuitable?

I'm sure I'm not the only person with old tube output transformers - both fancy and plain - in their parts box or know where to buy two.

Ben

Yes Ben, the ratio of your transformers is 1:50 for the 4 ohm tap and 1:35.35 for the 8 ohm tap.

The difference between the 4ohm tap and the 8ohm tap is still only 4ohm, So the ratio if you used both of these terminals would still only be 1:50.

The Transformers self capacitance (along with the Panel capacitance) and leak inductance will mostly determine the high frequency response.

Those devices that have a lot of iron do so because they are designed to go very low to the 20Hz to 40Hz at the least.

As stated a bell transformer would work as well providing that it can handle the voltages produced without arcing over on the inside and shorting out.

Although you would have to use quite a few of them depending on their turns Ratio.

Since they are designed for 60Hz the same rules apply as using Power Toroid transformers, and, should be used at frequency's above 300Hz/360Hz if you are using a rather large amplifier capable of 50Vrms to 60Vrms.

jer :)

Good point as I got to thinking about that.
I need to take another look at the math as doubling the 4 ohm LV turns brings the winding to 16 ohms not 8 ohms.
Sorry for the confusion.

However, It will be the LV winding that has a different selection of turns, not the HV winding, it stays constant at say 5000 turns for this example.

And if the 4ohm tap equals 100 turns on the LV winding then the 8 ohm winding will be Square root of 2 more the amount of turns at 141 turns for the 8 ohm tap.

This is 41.42 turns difference between the two taps and comes out to be 5000/41.42= 120.71 turns ratio or 1:120.71 using the section of the between the two taps.

Therefore the impedance of the Section of the LV winding between the 4 and 8 ohm taps is quite low at 10,000ohms for the HV winding divided by the turns ratio squared or 10000/ (120.71^2) at .686299 ohms.

This will be the reflected impedance, if the panels impedance is actually 10,000 ohms at 20Khz including the transformers stray capacitance of about 800pf total.

Typically that section of the winding uses the same gauge of wire as used for the whole winding therefore is prone to burn up due to the increased current flowing through it.

I think I got that right?!!!! ;)

If you use the 4-8 Ohm taps you still have secondair the same windings, still a 10k Ohm output. Nothing really changed exept that the new input can have less input voltage.
For an experiment it will work, just as the bell transformer.

The best solution is always a real esl transformer but it will cost some more.

jer - appreciate your detailed reply. I guess I need to test them, replicating your methods.

But if the ESL primary is 100 turns.... 4-ohm is 5000 turns, 8 is 3500 turns and the difference is 1500 turns or 67:1???

Ben

I have been waiting for some time for Antek to stock more AN-0506 toroids. After they changed their website i no longer saw the AN-0506 as an option. I contacted them and found out they have discontinued the AN-0506 and no longer will selling them. :(
They offered me the AS-0506 which is the shielded toroid with the extra wire.

I have decided to purchase the AN-0206 toroids. From my understanding, i don't think anyone has used 4 stacked AN-0206 toroids from Antek. I should receive them shortly, so I am going to do some general testing on them.
If there is any specific info that any of you might like, let me know and i will do my best to provide you with it.

I should be done building the new stators in 4-5 weeks. So I should be able to test how well the toroids perform then.

You should get decent performance out of them using 4 per panel with each ones individual pair of 6v winding's and 120v winding's in parallel.
Using 4 cores wired for 1:80.

At $11 a piece this is cost effective vs Performance.

Keep us posted on your finding's.

P.S. They really did a terrible job of hacking up their website!!!!

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.