2 Neo10 or 4 Neo8S for dipoles

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Greetings,

I'm deciding between two BG Neo10 and four Neo8S per side for my dipole loudspeaker project.
Inspired by Greg's (studiotech) beautiful dipoles with Neo10.

The whole speaker project, with all options:
1. AMT tweeter from 3-5 khz, depending on Neo10 or Neo8S.
2a. 2 Neo10 arranged vertically, tweeter on the side.
2b. 2 Neo10 arranged side-by-side, tweeter on top.
2c. 4 Neo8S, vertical line source, tweeter on the side.
2d. 4 Neo8S, 2x2 MTM configuration like Legacy Audio 'Whisper'.
2e. 4 Neo8S, 'virtual coax' configuration, tweeter in the center.
3. 15-inch woofer from 50-60 to 300-500 hz in an H-frame.
4. sealed subwofer from 50-60 down to 20 hz.
All handled by 4-way digital crossover with EQ.

Options 2d and 2e are the most interesting, IMO.

My room is small, 18 sq. meters, almost untreated, listening distance: 1.8-2 meters.

Would like to hear some thoughts on the subject from someone experienced with both drivers.
Some measurement data, esp. Neo8S HD sweeps, would be most helpful.

Many thanks!

Bandwidth and maximum output required are the issues. The 8S will do about 500-450Hz, the 10 300 or so. The advantage to using four 8S is debateable unless maximum output of the other drivers matches. If 500Hz is acceptable, the 8S is smaller and cheaper and a couple should go about as loud to 500 as two 10s would to 300Hz. Actually a single 8S may be sufficiant in your space and the money saved spent on a RAAL 70-10D which is a great match for the standard Neo 8- I've just spent the evening listening to that combination at a friend's. XO at 3.8kHz.

Last edited:
Considering bandwidth, i'm trying to stretch the mids over the entire vocal range, so the question is what four Neo8S can do at 350-400 hz sensitivity- and distortion-wise in dipole config.
In terms of output, my target is quite high, around 112dB at 1m of clean SPL. Obviously a single 8S can't do that with its 25W power handling.

Can you roughly estimate the radiating area and Xmax of Neo8S?

I am in a no way an expert but I do own a pair of the NEO 10s. I really do enjoy them. I have them crossed at about 400 hz and 4000k hz. They cover the critical midrange with great clarity and seem to have tons of headroom. I am not sure why you are after 112 db. I am in my 50's and believe you want to preserve as much hearing as possible. From OSHA:
TABLE G-16 - PERMISSIBLE NOISE EXPOSURES (1) ______________________________________________________________ | Duration per day, hours | Sound level dBA slow response ____________________________|_________________________________ | 8...........................| 90 6...........................| 92 4...........................| 95 3...........................| 97 2...........................| 100 1 1/2 ......................| 102 1...........................| 105 1/2 ........................| 110 1/4 or less................| 115

Well, by 112dB I don't mean RMS SPL, it is for dynamic headroom. 112dB at 1 meter becomes 106dB at the listening position, and this is barely sufficient for reproducing real-sounding peaks of an orchestra. I certainly don't want to listen at 112dB for hours :)

How do you find Neo10s versus some good dynamic drivers in terms of dynamics - from barely audible to extremely loud? Do they compress more because of much lower Xmax?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.