Tribute transformers for Apogee Full Range

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi guys
like EDBK i ordered custom 4 ohm Tribute transformers for my Full Range Apogees. I ordered a transformer for both the MR and TW ribbon and went with a 4 ohm final impedance for both. I am obviously tri-amping with this set up and using a 3-way active line level crossover (Pioneer D-23, an oldy but goody). I am still playing with amplifiers but can report the following improvements as a result of the Tribute transformers and tri-amping

- a very noticeable decrease in distortion. complex music sounds, well, less complex. nuance ad detail emerges from what was a tangled mess before.

- there is a very real increase in relaxation of the music. Music flows and breathes more naturally. an increase in both micro and macro dynamics. It is also easier to listen to at low volume than before.

- high frequencies are smoother, more distinct ....less distorted.

- lastly there is noticeable improvement in realism - i am more often fooled into thinking that a recorded sound is actually someone in the room. this happens on some songs that have occasional talking during the recording sessions (Beatles did this a lot) and just for a moment i turn my head to see whether there is someone in the room talking to me - i spooky-cool sensation.

I think Pieter does a very good job making these transformers outperform the stock ones and his works are highly regarded by the SET crowd.
i prefer using the transformer with active line level XO to using caps and resistors at the speaker level for many reasons - caps and resistors soak up 50% of your amps power, good caps easily cost more than a good transformer and color the sound, the transformer will protect the ribbons from any DC offset the amps have.
If you have studied tube electronics you know that most people regard transformer coupling as being superior to cap coupling - i think the same holds true for coupling an amplifer to a ribbon driver

So what excactly did you buy?
Is it an autotransformer 8 to 4 Ohm?

Hi guys
like EDBK i ordered custom 4 ohm Tribute transformers for my Full Range Apogees. I ordered a transformer for both the MR and TW ribbon and went with a 4 ohm final impedance for both. I am obviously tri-amping with this set up and using a 3-way active line level crossover (Pioneer D-23, an oldy but goody). I am still playing with amplifiers but can report the following improvements as a result of the Tribute transformers and tri-amping

- a very noticeable decrease in distortion. complex music sounds, well, less complex. nuance ad detail emerges from what was a tangled mess before.

- there is a very real increase in relaxation of the music. Music flows and breathes more naturally. an increase in both micro and macro dynamics. It is also easier to listen to at low volume than before.

- high frequencies are smoother, more distinct ....less distorted.

- lastly there is noticeable improvement in realism - i am more often fooled into thinking that a recorded sound is actually someone in the room. this happens on some songs that have occasional talking during the recording sessions (Beatles did this a lot) and just for a moment i turn my head to see whether there is someone in the room talking to me - i spooky-cool sensation.

I think Pieter does a very good job making these transformers outperform the stock ones and his works are highly regarded by the SET crowd.
i prefer using the transformer with active line level XO to using caps and resistors at the speaker level for many reasons - caps and resistors soak up 50% of your amps power, good caps easily cost more than a good transformer and color the sound, the transformer will protect the ribbons from any DC offset the amps have.
If you have studied tube electronics you know that most people regard transformer coupling as being superior to cap coupling - i think the same holds true for coupling an amplifer to a ribbon driver

i bought two sets of inductive transformers : one set for my mid-range ribbons and one set for my tweeter ribbons. these ribbons are pure aluminum thus being very low impedance. the Tribute transformers were built to raise the impedance of these ribbons up to 4 ohms from 0.2 ohms on the mid-range ribbon and approx 2.0 ohms on the tweeter ribbon

Ah, that's some more information.
I guess autotransformers so they were easy to make and cost efficient.

I am curios about the price level for such an upgrade.

i bought two sets of inductive transformers : one set for my mid-range ribbons and one set for my tweeter ribbons. these ribbons are pure aluminum thus being very low impedance. the Tribute transformers were built to raise the impedance of these ribbons up to 4 ohms from 0.2 ohms on the mid-range ribbon and approx 2.0 ohms on the tweeter ribbon

Last edited:
Ah, that's some more information.
I guess autotransformers so they were easy to make and cost efficient.

I am curios about the price level for such an upgrade.

For the midrange its a 6,3:1 (windings) step-down transformer, for the tweeter I guess 2:1 or 2,2:1, 90493m should be able to tell us that :)

I have potted amorphous c-cores.

I though the price was pretty decent, I paid E 325 for the mindrange pair, thats lower then other offerings of seemingly less quality ;) How long did yours take to be built 90493m?

From what i've found on the web, Pieter is probably the most respected, almost a cult. Many times people claim he is worth the outrageous waiting time which is sometimes a year or more. I personally don't get that. How can i simply switch my enthusiasm off, just before completing my amp, striving to hear it.. I'd love to have his product very much but one has to be a masochist a bit, knowing of so many reports about waiting time..

From what i've found on the web, Pieter is probably the most respected, almost a cult. Many times people claim he is worth the outrageous waiting time which is sometimes a year or more. I personally don't get that. How can i simply switch my enthusiasm off, just before completing my amp, striving to hear it.. I'd love to have his product very much but one has to be a masochist a bit, knowing of so many reports about waiting time..

I just want to know the facts about some products. I really don't care who makes it.
If people give feedback about a product and say they like it it gives me still no information unless good measurements was published.
That's why I like sites as MONOLITH MAGNETICS. I know they make top products and then a costumer feedback makes any sense.
For example: GM70-211 project
You see a Tribute transformer for a gm70 tube 15Hz-35kHz. I like such sites because I get more information about the products Pieter made.
Now I can compare this with for instance Monolith magnetics. MM is much better concerning frequency response so I know they have better skills.
The only thing is that I get to less information from (many) manufactures and to less from costumers feedback.

Why don't you email the man and ask for some facts then?

Are you interested in making a purchase, or do you wind your own transformers?

I think all (good) transformer manufactures should have there information online. I would like an open, transparent market.
Just think that the transfomer "myth" would not exist if there would be more information from so called "quality" manufactures.

Measuring provides the answers to audio .... or was this just the problem often discussed here?

Agree myths should be avoided. Having a reputation of honesty and using good ingredients, should count for something. When using arguments/components flying in the face of 'Einstein', I would doubt things too.

Remembered, an old electronics engineer at my university telling me calling a manufacturer: "I measured something different with your component than the published specs" ..... oh .. we published the computer calculated specs from the theory/model.......

Open and transparant. ... Martin, I know you and Pieter (Tribute) personally ... and after reading some of your comments here on the forum. Just wondering .... what is the motive (or your personal) here?
Why the constant undertone .... directed squarely at 1 person ?

You know the reason for the reputation (and possibly a myth status in the eyes of some) .... it ain't dishonesty. Talk it out ....

Last edited:
This, to a large extent, is a misery of all audio hardware. We are no robots and our aesthetic perception cannot be put into words/numbers and many custom craftsmen (sometimes intentionally) don't play this game. But from the customer point there i see just 2 ways, both quite foggy. One is to accumulate as much tech details as possible and imagine how they trigger final emotions while listening (which is more psycho-programming than a possible task), other is just trust what others experience and like, and 'try to believe' in the same perception.

6 weeks.... you was lucky :)

I think reasonable price indeed but, those transformers are very easy to make so it would be very strange if they where not reasonable priced.

I'm getting the feeling you are holding some sort of personal grudge against Pieter. Yes he has limited production capability so the more orders he takes the longer the wait. Yes his prices are lower then several of his "competitors", like sowther/lundahl. A google on feedback on his products leaves little doubt of the quality he delivers in my mind.

Measuring provides the answers to audio .... or was this just the problem often discussed here?

Agree myths should be avoided. Having a reputation of honesty and using good ingredients, should count for something. When using arguments/components flying in the face of 'Einstein', I would doubt things too.

Remembered, an old electronics engineer at my university telling me calling a manufacturer: "I measured something different with your component than the published specs" ..... oh .. we published the computer calculated specs from the theory/model.......

Open and transparant. ... Martin, I know you and Pieter (Tribute) personally ... and after reading some of your comments here on the forum. Just wondering .... what is the motive (or your personal) here?
Why the constant undertone .... directed squarely at 1 person ?

You know the reason for the reputation (and possibly a myth status in the eyes of some) .... it ain't dishonesty. Talk it out ....

Somebody wrote Tribute is "top notch".
Based on what? Thats just a question.
I know Tribute uses good quality core material, I exactly told him what to buy, so i know that part is top notch. But the performance of a transformer is not only based on this. I know tribute/pieter for over 20 years but some importand details he never publish and in my personal opinion i think the costumer has the right to get good information.
And don't get me wrong, the same is for other brands.

And i have just 1 motivation, i like/want top transformers (and Tribute is not in my list, specially because the lack of information).

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.