New Dayton Audio Heil-type tweeter listing

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Pulled apart my rt4001's a week ago, looking to see what would be required to make them Dipole. OK simple enough to do, but noticed that they use an adhesive to mount the ribbon at the top and bottom. This looks identical externally to the AMT2-4, slightly different specs. Most certainly is a limitation and raises Fs. This is a shame as the even larger ones would work well a bit lower.

Can think of several better ways to support without causing undue harm to the sound and lowering the low end resonance. Will add that with AMT's this is not nearly as bad as with other ribbon, dome and cone tweeters. Cross mine @2.2k LR4. Best would be about an octave higher. CSD's are fast!!!

Here's a closeup of the adhesive...

Attachments

• RT4001_ribbon_closeup_small.jpg
    RT4001_ribbon_closeup_small.jpg
    696 KB · Views: 2,035
Do need to add one comment. Quality Control is a bit lacking. One star off as John Krutke would say.

The ribbon shown is the one with issues. Impedance is off, >10% higher eg 3.2Ω vs 3.71Ω. Sounds good, have more testing todo. Have heard similar reports elsewhere about this issue.

Hi,

The whole ATM/Heil world has suddenly expanded. I'm aware of at least 3 smaller Chinese manufacturers as well as Aurum Cantus, Mundorf, Adam, Eton, B & C, Mark and Daniel and, of course ESS (there are probably more). A larger OEM can demand a certain level of quality and consistency but for many you get what you get.

Bob

Do need to add one comment. Quality Control is a bit lacking. One star off as John Krutke would say.

The ribbon shown is the one with issues. Impedance is off, >10% higher eg 3.2Ω vs 3.71Ω. Sounds good, have more testing todo. Have heard similar reports elsewhere about this issue.

Most possibly caused by a short between two or more folds, but when playing the movement of the diaphragm may cause it to "un-short" intermittent or it can be your ohm meter that puts out a DC voltage so the diaphragm move and creates the short. Try to measure with the opposite polarity - then the diaphragm folds will move the opposite way....

Most possibly caused by a short between two or more folds, but when playing the movement of the diaphragm may cause it to "un-short" intermittent or it can be your ohm meter that puts out a DC voltage so the diaphragm move and creates the short. Try to measure with the opposite polarity - then the diaphragm folds will move the opposite way....
No short. Looks more like an issue with the conductive coating thickness consistency. Have seen a few others post about this Re issue also. Some post on PE forum (i believe) saw where another had similar issue almost to a tee, wished he had bought 3 or 4 instead, tho sounded fine (to his ear). Mine sound different to me and by measurement. Could have been diaphragms from two different batches, use up all the prototypes, toss in a bin. That's where the old addage "Waste not, Want not" comes into direct contradiction with given specifications and profitability > pssst the DIY crowd won't notice if we pawn off some crap.

Can the AMTPRO-4 really able to cross at 800hz like the ad says?

If I bought a pair does anyone want to do testing on them?
I'd love to see the results.

I have one for testing. I'm wondering, do I need to protect it with a capacitor for testing purposes?

Not with an Fs of 900

I'm not sure if the "fs" they list is meaningful? You don't see a bump in the impedance at 900Hz, do you?

I have one for testing. I'm wondering, do I need to protect it with a capacitor for testing purposes?

I'm not sure if the "fs" they list is meaningful? You don't see a bump in the impedance at 900Hz, do you?

1. Depends on the test equipment, and the level (how loud you do the test) ..... I would always place a large cap in series to make sure nothing bad happens ;)

2. Though you don't see a big bump on the impedance curve, it will still be it's resonance frequency (free air), and you will see the output fall below this freq ....

It is measurable, small but there. Mass, and tension are key to this minor inflection if I'm not mistaken. The RT4001's I have has an fs of 2100, crossing them above 2.2k. Optimum would be above 4.5k as distortion is rather high below this and peaks at resonance. The standard rule of thumb is to cross at least 1 octave above fs and this holds true with measurements. Same is true of my Monsoon PM9 planars. Best crossed an octave above resonance.

Am looking into waveguides as a partial fix. The Vifa XT25/ Pellegrine Waveguide combo does a marvelous job at both extending the low end and reducing distortion. Would think similar results could be had with an AMT

Old post but just want to point out that ribbons, planars, AMTs, do not have an Fs. No coil you see...That should be obvious looking at the impedance graph...flat line without resonance...

Not so. Ribbons, planars and AMTs are just specail cases of a electrodynamic speaker. They all have a coil in a magnetic motor structure.

In pure ribbons the coil have only on turn. In a planar and in ribbons like the ones in Apogee duetta, there are multiple turns, on a plane diaphragm, suspended over on between a magnetic field. In an AMT the diaphram is just folded into pleats, but can have either on or more turns in the coil.

The coil effect on the impedance, will be a rise towards high frequencies. For planar the coil effect is very low, due to very low number of turns, therefore seemingly flat towards high freq.

The resonance freq is dominantly mechanical, determined by moving mass and spring effect. The degree of the resonance effect on the electrical impedance, is determined by the transformation factor Bl, that is magnetec field strength times length of wire in the field (coil). As Bl is normally very low in a planar, ribbon or AMT, the effect on the impedance is not strong and therefore the curve seems flat.

So the resonance is there, and so is the coil.

Best regards Baldin

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.