Magnet recognition

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Thanks guys.
I'll look into all these to see what i can find.
They look dark without any coating.They are long (4"x 1/4"x almost 1/2") and a bit chipped around the edges without any obvious oxidation.
I've seen and used neodymium with epoxy and they are smoother on surface than these.
Ceramic ... i don't know...i don't think that Infinity would use ceramic on their
"High Energy" L-EMIM (Epsilon version).
It is either poly-coated neodymium or (best bet) samarium-cobalt.
Anyone having "inside" information?

To find the exact dimensions is a jackpot.
Of course the length can be made with several smaller magnets but the width and depth should be the same...which again is not an easy thing...
But anything can be made to order...
I have made before made to order neodymium ring magnets (10pcs) for a levitated turntable spindle and the cost was very acceptable...as long as you order directly to the factory.
Perhaps i should buy a second hand Gauss meter to measure the intensity of magnetism
to give the factory a better approximation of what i want...or send them one side of the planar to measure on their own.
We'll see...

Infinity EMIMS

To the best of my memory, both the Infinity EMITS and EMIMS used Samarium Cobalt magnets. It was featured in their advertising at the time. I have some EMIT plates, but no EMIMS. The magnets did tend to dislodge and shatter if the EMIT was dropped on a hard surface. Never took an EMIM apart, I think those were sent back to the factory for repair. Our service center replaced many an EMIT diaphragm, though.

Yes in EMIM they used sam/co magnets or neo.
But the LEMIM is a MUCH bigger driver with a LOT MORE magnets.
By simply trying to put the speaker back together the repelling force
doesn't seem so intense...as if when rare earth magnets repel...
If it is neo it must be a weak neo...below N40...i don't know...
I will need to find me an expert...

Late '90s...around '95 to '00...for the last pairs...
I have in my possession a similar driver (FS41RP) made by Fostex.
It's part of the legendary RP series (7RP-21RP-41RP).
This is a bit older but superbly made and has more or less the dimensions and
frequency range of the older (Beta-Gamma) L-EMIM.
In that one i know for a fact that sam-co magnets were used.
The Fostex description of the speaker clearly states so.
I have looked through every page in the Infinity white paper for the Epsilon
and although a detailed description of the foil is given, there is not a single word
about the magnets nature...
Given the fact that the sam-co magnets only advantages over neo is the higher temp tolerance (not an issue in our case)...their non corroding surface
(something that has been an issue in older designs) is the only reason to choose such an expensive solution.
I can verify that in both these speakers (FS41RP and HE L-EMIM) the surface of the magnets stays clean and uncorroded (whithout any coating)
after all those years...which is a testament of good design.

Very small world!

In another forum I have another 'friend'. We've known each other for 16 years now. One day I asked if he was related to Alexander Dumas, author of the Three Musketeers. Yes, his great uncle. Well his great uncle knew my grandfather and gave him an authors edition of the book, which I inherited. Never met either (my grandfather or his uncle), but indeed shows how small this world is truly is :)

Yes I do believe in 6° of separation.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.