Neo3 PDR power handling

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
After having read the whole internet on tweeters :D I can't wait to try the Neo3 PDR's. They get rave reviews and their price is right. The thing that is holding me back from pressing "purchase" is the power handling subject, after reading about thermal compression on these drivers somewhere.

It is certain that I will be going active, the Foobar route, or maybe MiniDSP, so steep crossover slopes won't be a problem.

Probably I will use Dayton RS52 mids, with partially cut flanges to reduce CTC spacing. My current 2" Philips AD2150 dome mids will probably have to large magnets (12cm diam.) to be able to keep CTC spacing low. Also I am eager to try the Dayton mids after their good reviews, and my love for dome mids.

The speakers are going to be a WWMT design, with two Dayton RS180 drivers as woofers. They will go in small sealed enclosures because I will also build my own Motional Feedback subwoofers (too offtopic for now I think) so they will only play to as low as 60 to 80 hertz (haven't simulated a box yet, will do this tonight) and i prefer the sound of sealed enclosures. A lot of people say that the RS52 can get loud with a high pass of 850 hertz, so I would like tot know how low I can cross the Neo3's then. I think I would like to stay away from 5kHz as a crossover frequency because of CTC spacing.

In other words, is the Neo3 too fragile to handle SPL's the RS52 can handle at a resonable crossover point?
Because if that's the case, I would probably stay with my current mids, and buy some SB29RDCN tweeters and cross them fairly low (somewhere between 2, 2.5k) because supposedly they are built like tanks.

I am really eager to hear the level of realism the Neo3 PDR's supossedly add though, and would regret it if I couldn't use them.

Thanks for your time, I will look forward to any reply's. :cool:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.