Apogee Centaurs- going active

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
So these are the bars that were replacet.....on the Duetta....what a setup..gezz
The 26" is ezey.....I gess that's what I like about it sound.. I gess I well get some metal bars to try on the 26"......
How dose the metal bar... not short out the ribbons...?

Attachments

• 240133d1316108627-apogee-speakers-construction-top-connector[1].jpg
    240133d1316108627-apogee-speakers-construction-top-connector[1].jpg
    230.6 KB · Views: 242
  • 240169d1316115560-apogee-speakers-construction-p1010004[1].jpg
    240169d1316115560-apogee-speakers-construction-p1010004[1].jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 239
  • 460319d1421713173-apogee-centaurs-going-active-after-close-up[1].jpg
    460319d1421713173-apogee-centaurs-going-active-after-close-up[1].jpg
    148.9 KB · Views: 226
Last edited:
Here some info...2004..... it may last longer. here.... I found on pulling the Apogee Minors Crossovers Out...from the bass driver hole...........

How did you manage to get the crossovers out of the Minor? Mine were attached with the stongest adhesive on the planet and hidden out of sight. I tried everything short of breaking them apart to get them out and finally gave up.

-Rick

Yes, you have to slowly pry the adhesive, the circuit board comes off. I used a long flat bladed "crowbar". (Actually got it from Apogee, to remove the Major Grills). They do come out. I had the crossovers in seperate boxes behind the Minor's and bi-wired. Helped alot. By-pass the switch of course, I settled on the "normal setting". I also installed a Dynaudio 6 1/2 woofer, to replace the Viva. Huge gains in clarity, and abilty to go low. In a big room the port modification works well. A small room, say less than 13x18, they are better "acoustic suspension", ie stock. Now I restored them back to stock. I am using Major's & Diva's. (Graz I still need Diva ribbons, be contacting shortly).
Bill

The original Vifa Driver in my Minors was P17WG-00 6 Ohm. (I don't think you find anymore of these at 6 ohm) I replaced that Driver with the Dynaudio Esotec 17W LQ 8 Ohm. The cutout around the flange had to be enlarged by about 1/16" of inch. So almost a direct "pop in". The electrical characteristics of the Dynaudio woofer are: Fs 40 Hz, VAS 22 liter, Max Excursion 17mm, Le(inductance).19 mh, Re (dc resistance) 4.9 Ohm. Power Handling 1000 watts, The specs on the original 6 Ohm Vifa are very close in the electrial areas. Though the Vas on the Vifa is much higher. The power handling on the Vifa is only 80 watts. The size of the Minor box, approx 10 liters, the Vifa woofer would spec out to sound sorta of boomy. It does, after you hear the Dynaudio. The Dynaudio is much tighter sound, greater clarity(actually quite significant), and much, much faster. The bass response seems deeper. Might be cause of the significantly higher resolution. A better blend to the Minors ribbon. I have the Majors as well, the Majors sound too slow compared to the Minors with the Dynaudio woofer. About the same when the minors have the Vifa woofer, though the Majors go much deeper, due to the 10" driver in the Major. The esotec is also a hard driver to find now, due to Dynaudio removing thier drivers for consumer consumption. But any of the 17W-75 would sound reasonable, referring to the Dynaudio specs. I think the Esotec version is an extreamely great match to the Minor's ribbon. So I didn't want this to turn info a Speaker Builders corner, but it might have now.
Bill

Vary cool input thanks guys....for the blast from the past....hehe.........

been some time now that my minors ....are being ran without the MT mounting black bars....
I must say it made me rethink the sound for years I have been getting out of the Apogee Stages an Minors.....26"MT that thay shair....
The Stages have been pulled out an the minors have move out front .....
yes the Stages sill have the ribbon bass type...the minors never well....but this MT mod has changed the sound so much....that the minors bass is much closer to the Stages.... than one could beleave......it a non issue..... this was not the case be for this mod............... my ESLs an Maggys cant give this type of tone!
there sound is great but seems more colored now....
The MT ribbons have so much more extended range, that was
Missing before the mod...best of all these minors are so ezey to drive....an now my image is 7" tall....an fill the 18' wide space....with full rich tone...one hell of a diff in the sound of there old ribbons...an this is all without the stands................

Last edited:
Joined 2014
Paid Member
Haven't managed to find which archive the crossover pic is stored in. I hope it wasn't lost in a hard disk crash I had 12 months ago.

But have experimented with swapping the speakers over to put the ribbons on the outside and surprisingly that works rather well even with part of one ribbon obscured. Currently running 5 degrees tilt as I had some suitable wedges to allow that, but wondered what was normal?

funny I can find a full pic of the minor crossover.....thanks for looking for your pic....same gos for pic of Stages on flat feet..........or any but stock feet...as you see my Stages new feet....made a big diff in the sound

yes running the mt on the outside give better mids an bass... even on the Stages or the Duetta.....I have found.....
in your setup were you can only have 4-6' between the speakers.....would think it would sound great.......even if you have the room like myself.....my minors are setup 12' inside to inside......sounds good eather way...but you lose topend with this spread...an the mt out.

Attachments

• s 003.JPG
    s 003.JPG
    744.3 KB · Views: 78
Last edited:
yes now as with all pic posted.............it here on the web for ever....thanks
you know in my life in Audio.....an owning over $100k or more... in speakers on my quest...for the sound I liket an could live with....if just 1/2 the speaker I have had.........like the B&W line comes to mine....had a crossover like Mr bloom put in his speakers ....things my have been diff....for me any way!...........like the 801s,802s 804s 803s..N805s...just for starters...that were said to be by so minny ....great sounding speakers....
that had crossover that looket an sounded like thay cost $5.mybe......justsaying

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.