Conical horns 600Hz and up

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Re: curved petals. If the curve was laminated first and a router table was used you should get 15* along the whole length. Would be darn hard to get perfect.

Those look nice. How was it with the driver?

I have just today built an mft/3 style table. It needs some legs but should allow easier machining with the rail saw. Trying to get my Cnc guy involved.

I wanna try some big 15 or 18" oswg profiles soon. But am going to try segmented turning as a new process to learn.

Hopefully one day one complete pair of speakers will be made!

These are called "bits mouth joinery" router bits

I used ebay clones of this bit set to make conical horns Multi Sided Glue Joint Router Bit Sets by Amana Tool

Diffrent from rafter birds mouth joint or the japanese birds mouth joint.
Similar offerings from Lee Valey or MLCS. Seems Cheaper also.

This joint is usualy used in boat building for making masts and booms so the strenght is there.
Might be verry possible to arrange all the pieces back side up, touching each other, then tape 'em all, flipping over and rolling into the cone shape like a sushi mat after spreading glue. I would try and use a gymnastic rubber band "terraband" to apply clamping pressure. would speed up construction.
this joint has a larger gluing surface area then a miter. the sushy mat technique suppose to work with a miter too.

They live, 300Hz, 11 petal birch ply conical horns. CNC cut rings, and turned by hand entry to for a smoother transition between 1 1/2" exit and horns mouth. Radian 850pb & Beyma 10BR60.

Still need tidying up, was too eager to get using them. Glued on the rings at 6:30pm and had to use gross PU glue, yuck.

Sounding good so far, can be crossed seriously low, i tried them briefly full range or they didn't really seem to mind!? Currently crossed to the Beyma at 350Hz.

No chance to take any measurements yet, my 3m optical cable is still out of stock, loving the miniDSP, have time aligned the drivers roughly, looking forward to getting them auto-corrected with the Umik Mic.

Learnt a lot in the making, mainly how to destroy a 15* router cutter, and that 12 petals doesn't equal 15*. A new birds mouth bit will be ordered.

Walnut ones to follow.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.