Recoating Martin Logan Aerius Panel

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
hi guys,

The recipe is simple:
PVAc glue (school glue/white glue/wood glue) & black ink (chinese ink/permanent marker).
Just mix 20 g PVAc with 80 ml water then stir until dissolve and create suspension. Then add a drop of ink 0.1 ml then stir until the suspension become grey-is colour.
Apply to your Mylar with thin coating.
I try to post pdf version in this forum but looks like difficult due to big size file.

Hi Alexberg,

You are right, but I have no choice as the old coating is gone and my panel is dead.
The only choice is purchase new panel for $1200 or try to fixed it.
The replacement is very2 expensive so I decided to fix by myself.
I try to replace the mylar but unfortunately can't find it in my area except import from Aussie (the nearest neighbourn country) so no choice else than recoating the mylar.
What I done is far from excellent as I'm not expert in this field (and not like many of you which is professional).
I just an ordinary people who try to make my speaker back in service again.
The quality of the sound may not like the original but I'm happy that its work!

Hi FPN,

I'm glad to hear that my coating formula works for you. However, I've found out later that actually the PVA glue attracts moisture in the air and gradually condenses into water drops. It caused a lot of problems for me. If you have a chance to recoat your diaphragms, I would recommend antistatic solution - Staticide 6300 for example. You can coat it extremely thin. It's very stable and not humidity dependent.

Wachara C.

Has anyone ever tried this coating?

OriginalCoating

Hi AudioquestM-40,
The document from Gary also in my radar but looks too difficult for me.
The result maybe better (I don't know if apply to ML) but I decide to choose the simplest ingredient I can find.
You can take a look to Jonas Karud recipe in other thread as he also have other recipe which work well use floor polish chemical and black ink.
Just try mate!

Hi FPN,

I'm glad to hear that my coating formula works for you. However, I've found out later that actually the PVA glue attracts moisture in the air and gradually condenses into water drops. It caused a lot of problems for me. If you have a chance to recoat your diaphragms, I would recommend antistatic solution - Staticide 6300 for example. You can coat it extremely thin. It's very stable and not humidity dependent.

Wachara C.

Hi Wachara,
Thank you for your precious information and finding!
Is stacide 6300 easy to find at your country?
Where you buy it?
Just the anti static?
Or you add other ingredient?
How you coat it? Use sponge?
Your place is near to me (I fly to your place one a year for holiday..😊) so I asume can find easily at my place.
Very appreciated your info.

Hi Wachara,
Just googling it and found a disty in my place!
Will contact them soon to find out their stock!
How you clean the PVAc coating?
Can I use alcohol to remove it?
Once I got the Staticide, I'll try to recoat mine as I make my panel not permanent glue so I can re do whenever I want.
Thanks.

Hi FPN,

Yes, I think you can clean the PVA coating using alcohol. Staticide 6300 can be easily applied to the diaphragm. I just put a few drops on the diaphragm surface and wipe it with a foam brush.

Staticide 6300 is not easy to buy here, but I was lucky to get a free small sample from them. Lately I have also found the computer screen cleansers to be quite good too. They're cheap and you can buy them from a lot of computer stores. These are what I use:

DSC_2898.jpg

DSC_2899.jpg

The gel type is much better than the spray.

Good luck.

Wachara C.

chinsettawong,......
Thanks for your vary Clear!
info on Your ESL coating......
I gess the Licon is not something you tryed??....
Looks like some coating dont work as well on crived panel, like ML?...
.As thay do on flat panels?........Like the Jazzmans?
An thanks to all an any info on ESLs...anywhere anytime.
That Mylar Were to buy.....What works best......Coating,Good are Bad......
Long live ESLs....diyed are Acoustats,Quad,ML...........you name them

Hi Alexberg,

You are right, but I have no choice as the old coating is gone and my panel is dead.
The only choice is purchase new panel for $1200 or try to fixed it.
The replacement is very2 expensive so I decided to fix by myself.
I try to replace the mylar but unfortunately can't find it in my area except import from Aussie (the nearest neighbourn country) so no choice else than recoating the mylar.
What I done is far from excellent as I'm not expert in this field (and not like many of you which is professional).
I just an ordinary people who try to make my speaker back in service again.
The quality of the sound may not like the original but I'm happy that its work!

eBay $20 including shipping for 6 micron Mylar

I'm skeptical on waxes, PVA, and cleaners as they are not a permanent solution nor meant to bond to Mylar. PVA says right on it, made for semi-porous surfaces

Last edited:
eBay $20 including shipping for 6 micron Mylar

I'm skeptical on waxes, PVA, and cleaners as they are not a permanent solution nor meant to bond to Mylar. PVA says right on it, made for semi-porous surfaces

Hi AudioquestM-40,

Would you please to give me link on ebay who sell the mylar clear 6 micron with at least 600mm wide?
I try to search but not found!
Many sell reflective mylar (metalized) not clear (non metalized).
I found one sell clear and 20" but the thickness is 2mil (50.8 micron) which is too thick.
Thanks.

Hi FPN,

Yes, I think you can clean the PVA coating using alcohol. Staticide 6300 can be easily applied to the diaphragm. I just put a few drops on the diaphragm surface and wipe it with a foam brush.

Staticide 6300 is not easy to buy here, but I was lucky to get a free small sample from them. Lately I have also found the computer screen cleansers to be quite good too. They're cheap and you can buy them from a lot of computer stores. These are what I use:

DSC_2898.jpg

DSC_2899.jpg

The gel type is much better than the spray.

Good luck.

Wachara C.

Hi Wachara,
How long your pva last before create problem for you?
Did the cleaner long lasting?
I found the seller of staticide 6300 but must buy in 6lbs and quite expensive $130.
They offer me staticide 6500 in spray can but they don't have stock and still check the price for me.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.