Recoating Martin Logan Aerius Panel

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi Wachara,
How long your pva last before create problem for you?
Did the cleaner long lasting?
I found the seller of staticide 6300 but must buy in 6lbs and quite expensive $130.
They offer me staticide 6500 in spray can but they don't have stock and still check the price for me.

The PVA was good for only a few months. When I opened my ESL up, the copper charge ring was very badly corroded.

P3290004.jpg

Try to ask Staticide for a small sample, they might just give some to you for free. :)

Hi,

people talk alot as the days go by. ;) That doesn´t say that their talk is not firmly grounded or sensible, but it also doesn´t imply the opposite :spin:
Seems that Elvamide has had its time of Hype.
At the time other materials are hyped and tomorrow surely will bring a new or revived hype.
Let the past inform You, but not obsure the sight on things.
When Elvamide was used comercially there was hardly any other durable reliable option. Things changed though and we have a couple of possibilites with advantages in safety, easy of handling, application and performance.

jauu
Calvin

ps. My clear transparent Tesa recipe coating (PVA-Glue or similar) still works after >>10years on one of my oldest panels, which I get every now and then out of the wet damp garage into the living room. Apart from the different climatic situation under which Wachara suffers, this seems to be the single most important difference, defining fail or success.
The only drawback of tis coating seems to be to find the right glue

Last edited:
Hi,

people talk alot as the days go by. ;) That doesn´t say that their talk is not firmly grounded or sensible, but it also doesn´t imply the opposite :spin:
Seems that Elvamide has had its time of Hype.
At the time other materials are hyped and tomorrow surely will bring a new or revived hype.
Let the past inform You, but not obsure the sight on things.
When Elvamide was used comercially there was hardly any other durable reliable option. Things changed though and we have a couple of possibilites with advantages in safety, easy of handling, application and performance.

jauu
Calvin

ps. My clear transparent Tesa recipe coating (PVA-Glue or similar) still works after >>10years on one of my oldest panels, which I get every now and then out of the wet damp garage into the living room. Apart from the different climatic situation under which Wachara suffers, this seems to be the single most important difference, defining fail or success.
The only drawback of tis coating seems to be to find the right glue

Hi Calvin,

Thanks for your explanation.
I just bought mylar and new foil tape from ebay in case mine has problem in the future.
I think your explanation make sense as PVAc glue formula not similar each other and depend on the climate situation.
I try to order ACL 6300 but very expensive $130/3lbs excl. shipping.
Anyway, I'll observe my coating during the time.
thanks for sharing!

The PVA was good for only a few months. When I opened my ESL up, the copper charge ring was very badly corroded.

P3290004.jpg

Try to ask Staticide for a small sample, they might just give some to you for free. :)

Hi Wachara,

You are correct, my panel shows sign to die (again..!) looks like the formula didn't last long in high humidity environment like my place.
I did order the ACL Staticide for $150 but need 4 weeks to for delivery..:(
I'll update again once I redo with Staticide.
In the meanwhile I may want to make by myself the diy esl use mylar which I order just recently.

If the ML panel make No sound.....you have lost High V bias.......if you put the bad panel in one that works............an the working panels in the one thats dead now an it works....we no the bias an setup trnsfourmers are working........
It the red wire that feeds the panel bias....it can lose contact with the copper feed that runs up the right side only!.....it just laded in there.......you may be abel to move it around an make contact agin..........An the blue & black wire can brake off also...so ck them.............good luck

Last edited:
If the LEds liteup....the bias board is working....... but if the bad box dose not... theres a chip on the bias board........ML may have the chip?.....But ck the wires on to the board..
call ML tell them the prob.......thay well help walk you though...Maybe....
.good luck

Hi Guys,

Apologize for remove the attachment and the step by step to re-coating the Aerius in this thread.
The reason I remove the step by step is actually the solution didn't work (for me) and create another trouble for me.
In months after i re-coat my panel the sound start weak again, not balance between left and right and completely lost the sound in around 4 months.
I left the speaker due to my activities and around 2 months later I have chance try to fix it.
The terrible thing when I open the panel is the flat cooper ring is heavily corroded and cut off the signal /voltage from the HV PS to the Mylar.
I try to clean the coating but the result is not good.
I suggest to all of you to use other technique provides by other member (or use Wachara Staticide if you can find it) if you want to re-coat your panel.
I didn't have chance to try other methods as I sold my speaker end of last year to a person who willing to fix it.
This is to answer other member who curious to see the experiment result in the long run.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.