Dipole Speakers for Keyboard

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Greetings, all.

I have a very nice keyboard (Yamaha DGX-620) that plays out through the dime store speakers mounted at the ends of the keyboard. It also has a stereo out plug (puts more bass in the left channel than the right). I'd like to build some speakers for it, so it sounds like a real instrument. Over headphones it sounds great.

My design goals:

1) Not too expensive. $250 for the right channel, perhaps another $100 more for the left.

2) Dipoles - would be nice to be able to reverse them to perform, and have me be able to hear the back radiated sound while playing.

3) Active crossovers and amplification - I'm more comfortable with electronics than woodworking, so this just makes sense. Further, it would help me more on other projects going forward.

My plan is to build the right channel (high notes) first, and then build the left once that's done. Play around with L+R through the right at first. So far, I'm thinking:

Right - BG Neo3-PDRW planar tweeter, Silver Flute 5.5" or 8" woofer (4 ohm).

Left - As above, plus a sub (no clue yet).

Having the sub on the left mirrors the actual piano, where the low notes come from the left side. A little weird, but I think correct for this application. The BG tweeter is expensive, and may be downgraded to save $$, but those who have used it love it, once properly driven and tuned. Amplification - mostly chips - LM1875 for the tweets, TDA7293 for the woofers, not sure about sub, probably discreet, and want a decent amount of power - the keyboard has about a half dozen organ voices, and it would be cool to really feel the low pipes.

Of course, none of this is written in stone. Seeking advice and input, in particular resources to steer me in the right direction. I know about Ziggy Linkwitz's site, NaO speakers, ESP audio, etc. More worried about technical details. In particular, how critical is the active crossover and it's frequencies (leaning towards a Linkwitz-Riley 2nd order), and how does one correct for individual speaker foibles when using active amplification. Overall SPL is easy - just adjust the gain on the amps.

Any advice appreciated - although I may be slow to respond. Two finals this week (I don't take them, I grade them.)

Regards,
Martin

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.