Stacked Quad ESL 57

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
My bronze Quad SN dated 1960, my black one dated 1982. Both are in great condition, the panels looked fine too. None of them has protection circuit, all my single ended amp 6C33C/845/211/GM70/WE212E are below 25W, so I think they will be fine. Some day when I have time , I will put protection circuit on them.

Arching only happens on old panels, have the panels rebuilt by a competent person and arching is a thing of the past, no need for clamping ...

Do you have any evidence or arguments to support that theory? Because I don't think there is anything you can do to prevent these panels from arcing once enough voltage is applied.

From the top of my head Quad specified maximum of 33 Volts input before arcing. The Quad 303 amplifier was limited to that voltage and it will not blow up a treble panel that is in good condition. You go higher than that without a limiter in place and the thing *will* arc at some point.

@Unison845 what amp did you like best on the Quads? I have good memories about a GM70 SE amp driving those Quads.. just magic.

All my amps use different input/driver/tube/transformer, the power supply is identical though. The stacked quad has additional Janszen panels for the highs. The amp that I tried on this system are 845/211/GM70/WE212

The stacked quad/Janszen system are so revealing that the sound of each amp is dependent on what you feed into it. My analog player is Micro Seiki 1500 with 4 different arm and cartridge combination. The Phono preamp is Aesthetix IO with dual supply drive the amp which has volume control at the input. I have found that certain cartridge/amp combination sounded better than other.

For casual listening I used GM70 amp since the tubes are cheap and sounded quite good. For serious listening I used the WE212, I dont want to put mileage on this tube because they are expensive to replace. For classical music I like 211. For jazz I like 845.

Yes the GM70 tube is very good, it has a warm sound but the high is a bit roll off. But then I did not tried the copper plate version yet, from what I heard when compare 845 graphite/ 845 metal tube, I am very tempted to buy the copper version.

So my conclusion here does not mean that any of the tubes are superior in sound compared to other, since they are built so different from each other, with different interstage/output transformer (845/Tango, 212/Tango, 211/Tamura, GM70/James).

Do you have any evidence or arguments to support that theory? Because I don't think there is anything you can do to prevent these panels from arcing once enough voltage is applied.

From the top of my head Quad specified maximum of 33 Volts input before arcing. The Quad 303 amplifier was limited to that voltage and it will not blow up a treble panel that is in good condition. You go higher than that without a limiter in place and the thing *will* arc at some point.

@Unison845 what amp did you like best on the Quads? I have good memories about a GM70 SE amp driving those Quads.. just magic.

I should have been more specific with my previous response, yes you are correct if you want to arch the panels you can , what i meant to say, was when the panels are rebuilt and modified , arching takes place at a much higher level of drive. The arching in original 57's happens due to a defective process in their manufacturing ..

I'm kind'a new here....I've a set of dubl-stacked Quads with Decca ribbons....running them with a pair of Nobis Convigore's. The amps are based off a Dyna 70 with a fet front end, running AB with 6550's.....I kicked them up a bit. Never had an arc problem but I don't play them loud. I mainly use the system for classical and light jazz, piano, female vocals etc. Even the dubl-stacks won't do a large room,,,,but they are something quite special.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.