Very interesting advancement in electrostat membrane technology

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
"We have this material that could revolutionize everything having to do with electronics: medical imaging, robotics, communication, power transmission, sensors, space travel, etc. What should we do with it?

Let's make some planar speakers."

Yeah, these guys must already be members here and they've got to be reading this particular forum.

Damn stupid to try to make sound by shoving a heavy cone of cardboard back and forth. So ESLs (or better, electrostats) made from graphene is a great idea (unless the cost is as prohibitive as carbon fiber replacements for fiberglass panels).

Can anyone say how much better is the match between air and graphene compared to air and mylar (or whatever is the current favourite)?

Oddly, graphene violates one of the key principles of ESL design (as I understand it). ESLs use membranes with very high resistance so that charge doesn't move around with the signal. Graphene is very conductive (like super-conductive, if I recall). Is that an issue?

Ben

Very good point, Ben, I was thinking that myself.
I didn't read the whole PDF in the greatest detail but the whole process seems that it would be rather costly to be able to produce a large panel of any significance that would be usable.

I think it would work good too maybe make Microphones or maybe headphones or something, But not large panels.

ESL's for cellphones ?!!!

They don't go into the characteristics of the material with much detail.
How much can it take before it tears, it would be an extremely expensive mistake if it did.

They also boost about the flat response that it exhibits, Typically all ELS's exhibit this type of quality, especially when measured in such a close range of proximity!!!

However it is a very interesting read,

http://arxiv.org/ftp/arxiv/papers/1303/1303.2391.pdf

jer :)

And I can't recall enough of Hunt's famous book, but I don't think there is anything to gain by increasing excursion due to electrical non-linearities, unlike the trade-off you can get by moving better but smaller cone drivers further.

But at least, with very light-weight graphene, the only limitation is in the goodness of the electrical signal because the film follows that electricity so well.

Ben

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.