Few questions about B&G RD's?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm planning to use B&G RD's as a mids on my next OB speakers, for the range 200hz to ~5khz. Few questions still in mind:

- Does it make a big difference to use RD50 instead of RD75, when they should play down to 200hz? I'm using Magneplanar ribbons for the highs, so basically RD50 would match them nicely from the height point of view. Any reason to pay 400$ more for the 75's?
- How does the width of the baffle effect on the sound? I have seen RD's used without any baffle, and I have seen them in a 1 meter wide baffle. How should I choose the "correct" baffle width for my setup?

RD75's handle more power and have a taller sweet spot. Not worth the money over the RD50's in my opinion.

Baffle will give you much better response down to 150hz but makes the high frequency (above 5k) a little dicey and more challenging to flatten. I used a 12" baffle in order to integrate with a my 8" woofers.

I love these speakers.

Disabled Account
Joined 2008
I have RD-75's, and I absolutely love them. I have never tested the RD-50, but I've seen claims that they have problematic vertical midrange lobing... might be the case, but I don't know. I don't feel any need for an additional tweeter either, but it would be interesting if you could test the RD fullrange and compare that to using the Magneplanar tweeter from ~5k.

Are you going to use them dipole? At what listening distance?

For short distances I recommend a very small or no baffle at all. At greater distance a baffle is needed to avoid low-end roll-off.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.