Apogee Full Range Crossovers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi Bill, congratulations :)

I dont have the stock transformers but the transformers tribute made for me are marked for polarity.

Theyre (mis)marked magnepan but are specifically made for the full ranges.

Attachments

• IMG_1623.JPG
    IMG_1623.JPG
    132.3 KB · Views: 311
Original impedance box how I found it.

EDBK, those look really nice output transformers. How do you get those custom transformers? Have you compared them to resisters? My US repair rep states transformers do not sound as well as resister do. However I have not experimented so can not say. I like the efficiency of a transformer versus a resister.

Here is the photo of my transformer. It is the middle transformer with large 6 gauge wire. Is the polarity of the stock transformer to be wired top windings to the black terminal as found with my original impedance box?

Thanks Bill

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 369
EDBK, those look really nice output transformers. How do you get those custom transformers? Have you compared them to resisters? My US repair rep states transformers do not sound as well as resister do. However I have not experimented so can not say. I like the efficiency of a transformer versus a resister.

Here is the photo of my transformer. It is the middle transformer with large 6 gauge wire. Is the polarity of the stock transformer to be wired top windings to the black terminal as found with my original impedance box?

Thanks Bill

Hi Bill,

I have not compared them to resistors but my gut feeling is its not the best idea to burn power in resistors on these low efficiency babies ;)

I've never had the stock transformers, but there are several FR owners who have ordered these transformers from Pieter Treurniet. A comment from one:
"i had a chance to hook up the transformers today and i am very
impressed! They have taken the music to a new level of realism and
transparency."

You can get them at Tribute - The final word in audiotransformers

One catch, mine took 4 months or so so you have to be patient ;)

I would not think the polarity to be very critical on the stock transformers anyway. But you can always reverse it and have a listen ;)

I have had these for about 28 years (1985)

I bought a new pair of full range in 1984 .( S/N 1115 )
I think that was the only speaker they made at the time.
I have always used them with a pair of ML-3 amps and an LNC-2 crossover.
Appogee Acoustics ( Tony Shuman) worked with MarK Levinson to make the modules for my LNC-2. I am not sure of the X-over HZ or the slope but they worked it out for me.
I am running the bass panels direct.Amps are directly behind each speaker with very short speaker cables.I am using the origional factory transformers as well.
I have had the ribbons changed 2 times by the factory ( the factory was still in business both times) . Also had the factory upgrade the internal wire in the panels.The ribbon changes were a result of hurricane dammage ( I lived in South Florida at the time)
I still use these amps and speakers every day.
They sound amassing but as you know the placement is really hard to get right.
I have the factory X-Overs but I never used them.
I recently purchase another ML-3 and I have been thinking about a tri amp set up....For now it is just a spare amp.

Appogee Acoustics ( Tony Shuman) worked with MarK Levinson to make the modules for my LNC-2. I am not sure of the X-over HZ or the slope but they worked it out for me.
I am running the bass panels direct.Amps are directly behind each speaker with very short speaker cables.I am using the origional factory transformers as well.
I have had the ribbons changed 2 times by the factory ( the factory was still in business both times) . Also had the factory upgrade the internal wire in the panels.The ribbon changes were a result of hurricane dammage ( I lived in South Florida at the time)
I recently purchase another ML-3 and I have been thinking about a tri amp set up....For now it is just a spare amp.

When going triamp you can eliminate a cap + resistor in front of the tweeter. You could drive the tweeter direct but maybe would want to keep using the resistor since it'll be pretty low impedance without. You can replace the resistor with a transformer for lower power loss but I dont know which one of the 2 sounds better ;)

Thanks for the help....
I am trying to figure out my x-over. the manual states I could use it in a 3 way config. The high out volume would be adjusted by internal pots.I think that this means that the x-over point between the high ribbon and the mid ribbon would be the same just the volume would be adjusted to get both amps to work together properly. I have found that this x-over currently sounds best ( 2-way) by cutting back the high volume and then setting the bass volume. I can't imagine adjusting things using an internal pot. Now both mid and high ribbons and adjusted by the same volume knob on the LNC-2 and it is still hard to get it right.
I have used this set up for so many years that I am not sure about changing things. maybe 3 ML-3 amps is a bit overboard. I have plenty of power with 2 amps ( really 4 as they are dual Mono) now.

Thanks for the help....
I am trying to figure out my x-over. the manual states I could use it in a 3 way config. The high out volume would be adjusted by internal pots.I think that this means that the x-over point between the high ribbon and the mid ribbon would be the same just the volume would be adjusted to get both amps to work together properly. I have found that this x-over currently sounds best ( 2-way) by cutting back the high volume and then setting the bass volume. I can't imagine adjusting things using an internal pot. Now both mid and high ribbons and adjusted by the same volume knob on the LNC-2 and it is still hard to get it right.
I have used this set up for so many years that I am not sure about changing things. maybe 3 ML-3 amps is a bit overboard. I have plenty of power with 2 amps ( really 4 as they are dual Mono) now.

Maybe these links help:
http://apogeespeakers.com/manuals/active_crossover_manual.pdf
http://apogeespeakers.com/manuals/Full_range_manual.doc

Wow, i have not heard or seen a fullrange in decades and driven by ML3's to boot, talk about a time warp ... :)

Congrats ....

hello, I'm newbie on this , sorry for my writing "I'm French people";-)
I leaved for 5 years with Apogee Diva, in bi amp with active crossover Accuphase f15, and with two pair of ML2, and some time in direct on the bass panel.I had from long time Apogee FR, but never used them because, no time and experience with big horns
very interesting yours experiences and will try tu put my FR in life

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.