Monsoon Dreams

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Not related to the Monsoon computer thread, but I've been throwing around the idea of getting that awesome Monsoon sound that I dearly miss. I live in an apartment so setting up a system that requires a subwoofer or EQ+radiated surface area is pretty much out of the equation (there goes all of my Open Baffle knowledge and experience).

I am still throwing around the idea of a 2.5-way TL or just a 2-way for simplicity sake but with a planar tweeter and/or mid. I am open to many suggestions on this front for sure. Solen can get me some CSS ribbons (G2 rebrand) but I'm not sure of that Ribbon will give me the sound that I want. Either way, the monsoons that I want to emulate are the FPF-600/1000 speakers. Though, the low-end will be a TL instead of a typical vented woofer.

I think I can blame this nostalgia phase on some Martin Logan ESLs and some towers made by Golden Ears. That said, I heard Air Motion 4s at Futureshop (probably setup incorrectly) and I wasn't impressed.

ESL/Planars/Ribbons are a new adventure for me so I will gladly hand out beers as necessary.

No Planar/ESL love eh?

I'd like to have I dipole Planar speaker where the planars will take on most of the sound duties. I'd like to run the mid-range/bass driver into the 2kHz-3kHz range. It seems most ribbons/planars can actually take on this range with a 2nd order LR. The least amount of cross-over work for me is important and I have seen a lot of drivers that would require special "trap"-style solutions to take care of their top-end response oddities.

Does anyone have experience/recommendations for me?

Thank you,

It's a very delicate proposition to advise someone who calls themselves 'Bose-something' AND also lumps ESL's together with those planar magnetic things...

LOL, I do enjoy the prejudice. Entirely because if you look at the content of my posts, you should not let that way any opinions about my knowledge and participation in developing acoustic technologies.

There is a reason why I lumped them together. That was indicated in my first post. ESLs and Planars both had the quality that was looking for in vocals/guitars and wanted that same thing in my next pair of speakers. I was hoping that the experienced posters in this section could help dispel any conclusions or precedents that I've set here. I am open to critique and good information.

FYI, I haven't heard an AMT that I've liked, the Martin Logan AMT speakers don't have "it", their ESLs do have "it".

Last edited:
Monsoon FPF-1000

What I've done is purchased a pair of Monsoons ;).

I've got the FPF-1000s and they are bi-amped with my NAD T777. At the price I got, I would've paid for the drivers and *might* have been able to afford a very, very cheap crossover.

I'll be looking to do an Planar/Ribbon center channel that will be placed vertically of course.

I have both the Monsoon FPF-1000's, and FPF-600's, and I was disappointed when Monsoon went out of business, without releasing a matching center speaker! I guess I could always fine a used VMPS center? That should match pretty well. But still, I very much look forward to your center channel efforts!

Also, Monsoon was working on revamping the FPF-1600, with new crossovers, more in line to audiophile tastes. It was going to be the FPF-1600 SE (Super Edition). I wish that would have made to release too. I would have loved to copy it's crossover for my 1000's.

Good Luck!

What I've done is purchased a pair of Monsoons ;).

I've got the FPF-1000s and they are bi-amped with my NAD T777. At the price I got, I would've paid for the drivers and *might* have been able to afford a very, very cheap crossover.

I'll be looking to do an Planar/Ribbon center channel that will be placed vertically of course.

I think you do need some room correction in your situation. The latest flavor of Audessy has bass containment, designed to cut out the bass notes most likely to go through your walls- intended for apartment dwellers.
If you are looking for a small, bass shy ribbob speaker, I'd suggest the Radio Shack LX5II's, usually available for under $100 a pair used. They respond real well to mods, especially the crossover, the only real flaw is a ragged frequency response that cleans up real well with room correction.

For Sale. 2 x Fostex FS41RS
Hello, I also love the monsoon Ribbons, I love their airy sound. To that end I was going to make a larger version, built around a pair of Fostex FS41RP Huge Mid Woofer Ribbons found on the Infinity IRS speakers. I have a pair of Brand New un-opened Speakers that look spectacular, that I'm not going to be using as I've abandoned this idea. They are new in box their boxes, Perfect and unopened.
Any interest?
I'm placing these on bay if you want to see them... They can be seen at http://www.ebay.com/itm/111719166202?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649
Thanks.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.