B&G's for mids?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am working with neo drivers these days.
Are we sure that RD series is any different in technology compared to neo3 and neo8?
People have discussed RD vs. neo8 line array: and the belief is that the only difference would be the neo8 line array would have more vertical membrane attachment points.
Now add neo10 and neo8s into the picture and it is a different story because of the pleated diaphragm these two have.
I have high hopes for the neo8s I acquired recently.
neo3 always seemed to have too prominent cymbals even with EQ.
neo8s does not seem to have it.
I am currently high passing neo8s at 1000Hz LR4.
I might add a ribbon supertweeter with just a cap to add some more airiness.

When it comes to lower mids, I have decided to go with a cone driver.
It might well be that the right cone is ultimately better than a planar for that region.
If I aimed at going planar for the lower mid as well, I would pick a neo8s line array over any neo10 arrangement. The reason being both value for money and better dispersion.

I had a line array with Neo10 on the plan board for a long time. I bet it will sound wonderful, but I went with RD-75 in the end. What I find most appealing with Stig Erik’s implementation is the way RD-75 is used as a full range dipole driver. If you don’t mind the use of active EQ I think this is probably the easiest way to create a consistent dipole line array.

It will probably not play as load as a Neo array, but I’ve learned that if the high volume is mostly needed for sharing music with other people in the room the brochure might actually be correct when it claims the following “Sound pressure level drops off at half the rate (-3dB) of conventional speakers (-6dB) with a doubling of distance”. I’m surprised how load RD-75 is with Sonic Impact 5066 I currently have them connected to. Can’t do much EQ though :D

Sounds great DEQ- have you got a thread for your build? Pictures? The idea of using a single drive unit all the way up from the lower mids to the top is certainly appealing. My room layout would suit a sealed back implementation of the RD75 very well- but hardware is now committed to a dipole implementation of the Neo 10s and 3s- along with a version of the NaO Note that is gradually coming together...

I've just come across this thread, and I'm interested to see some Brits here from London and the SE. I'm in London. I had stacked Quads, then Maggies, then Apogee Caliper Sigs then downsized to Mark Audio Alpair 10 full-range alu. units when I got sensible and fancied seeing out of the window for a change (the speakers are in front of French windows and a balcony). So currently hankering after another ribbon but small footprint.

The Neo 10 sounds like the solution. Do you get these in Parts Express? The B&G German store looks gratuitously expensive. Shipping from USA must be cheaper.

I'd like to strike up some correspondence on the Neo 10 and maybe even hear an existing system if that's possible. I'm in Kensington. I build my own SE tube all-DHT amps if that's of interest.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.