Martin Logan Purity Help

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I apologize for two things in advance:
First, the speakers are a friend, so I may be slow on the specifics during discussion.
Second, I have limited electrostatic experence.

The pair of Martin Logan Purity speakers are two years old, and then the panel in the right speaker just stopped working correctly. It has very low output, but still makes sound without any popping or crackling. We checked the connections and tried two different preamp, including swapping left and right outputs without change. I helped him pull the woofers and check the wiring, but everything looked okay from my circuits, but limited ESL knowledge. The signal lights on each speaker seem to be working well, and respond the same on the working speaker as the bad one. We also vacuumed both as the regular maintenance suggests.

Now I know the panels can go bad and lose their charge over time, but two years seems like two short a time period for that to happen. Could the high voltage power supply be bad? I don't see that the ICEpower amplification of the panel could be the issue, but it does add a little more complexity to the problem solving. We did disconnect the woofers to ensure that they were working correctly and independantly from the panel.

Thanks for the help!

Got a very helpful email from ML with complete breakdown instructions for the speakers and troubleshooting steps to rule out the panel or electronics. Great customer service!

I've had positive experiences with ML customer service in the past as well.
Good to hear things haven't changed in that regard since the company sale and organizational change.
Look forward to hearing what you determine the failure mode was on these newer generation ML products.

I contacted ML customer service as the speakers still have a few more years on the warranty. The nicest customer service rep I've ever talked to helped me swap the panels from left to right to see if the issues was the stat panel or the power supply. The low output followed the panel, so he sent me out a new one. I just got it installed a few nights ago with excellent writen and illustrated instructions, and the speakers are back in business! They sound great already, even though the new panel will need to break-in a little to match the sound of the older panel. This new generation of ML speakers uses Molex connectors for everything, and with their customer service help, repairing your speakers couldn't be easier!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.