Choosing form of neodym magnets for diy ribbon tweeter. Need help!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all, i want to make a ribbon tweeter or small midrange speaker.
My budget for magnets is only around 30$ ...
I can't choose what is better to get on ebay...
I looking at:
216pcs 5mm 1/5" 0.2 inch Cube Square Neodymium Strong Magnetic Fridge Magnets | eBay

216 5x5 mm cubes - overall it has best mass/volume for price ratio.
I can stack this small cubes in different configurations to test some...
Or better buy a 4 big long magnets for pair of tweeters?
Like this:

New Super Strong Neodymium Block Magnets 100mm x 10mm x 5mm N35 Grade Rare Earth | eBay

Or maybe better to get block of 500 small 5x5x1 mm magnets?

500pcs 5mm x 5mm x 1mm Blocks Rare Earth Neodymium strong fridge Magnets N35 | eBay

With 500 pcs. i can make really long ribbons about 62 cm with ore row or 31 with two...

Anyone has an experience with stacking small magnets? Or maybe even cylindrical?

Is 1 mm thickness is enough? I, generally, don't care about sensitivity beause i want make bi-amp system...

Last edited:
Have anyone used 3 mm thick N35 magnets? (50x10x3)
Can't choose between 3 mm and 5 mm (50x10x5) :confused:
15 cm ribbon with 3mm magnest vs 20 cm ribbon with 5 mm magnets, all for around 30 bucks...
I want use ribbon about 2 cm width. Don't know how to calculate sensitivity, around 86 db is enough for me... Is 3 mm neo magnets capable of this?
And is the sound quality depends from sensitivity? Or it's just the power efficiency? And with more powerful amp there is no difference?
Is it any big difference between 10, 15 or 20 cm ribbon in overall sound?
Have anyone expirience with more "fat" shape of ribbon, like 10x4 cm or so...
How does depends ability to play lower frequences from lenght of ribbon?
10x2 cm usually cuts from 3-5 khz, can 15x2 or 20x2 cm ribbon go lower? From 500 hz - 1k ?

What do you choose?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.