Quad 63 in series

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
You can run two pair parallel (series seems like asking for trouble), just like any other speaker, as long as your amp can handle the load. Why do you ask? If you're thinking of "doubled '63s", it doesn't work all that well. Unlike "doubled '57s", stacking ESL63s changes the "point source" radiation pattern, and creates two point sources... noticeably disturbing the wonderful depth that Quads are so known for. I can speak to this, because I've tried it. IME, a single pair sound better, even though they can't play as loud, or maybe as low, so my second pair sit in boxes as spares.

Sorry guys I have not been on for a while and I should have given more info. I run OTL amps. The speakers in series is not an issue as the higher ohm output works very well with OTL's. In the room I am looking to do this in is due to the fact I am running a mono system so the plan would be to put 2 esl63's in series on 1 - 150 watt OTL amp. So positive post of one speaker to negative of other and use the alternate posts (positive and negative) remaining to hook up to the amp. What do you guys think about that?

Last edited:
You can run two pair parallel (series seems like asking for trouble), just like any other speaker, as long as your amp can handle the load. Why do you ask? If you're thinking of "doubled '63s", it doesn't work all that well. Unlike "doubled '57s", stacking ESL63s changes the "point source" radiation pattern, and creates two point sources... noticeably disturbing the wonderful depth that Quads are so known for. I can speak to this, because I've tried it. IME, a single pair sound better, even though they can't play as loud, or maybe as low, so my second pair sit in boxes as spares.

I'm thinking that exactly. 2 point sources, one on each side of the room driven by one amp mono.

When I tried doubled '63s, I used two amps (stereo Luxman M-12s) , so I sidestepped the wiring issue. I tried them stacked, and side by side... never occurred to me to place them perpendicular to each other. That DOES make some sense, since they basically create a point source aprox a foot behind the center of the speaker, placing the second speaker like that should create two sound sources originating from the same point. Very clever! I could see that working in a very large room, with the speakers in a 90deg. "V" pointed into the room... may create some unwanted cancellation, but it is an interesting idea. I'm tempted to try that, unfortunately I don't have enough room in my current listening space. Maybe when I get my basement space done... sounds like fun!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.