Can U identify these electrostatic units ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Mine didn't have the voltage multiplier circuit ! i seem to remember he said the ferrites for the bass unit were 10mh the rest was just a few components for the crossover on a piece of tag strip on the board along with the transformer it appears he tried different ways of wiring it up and yours is totally different to mine, possibly different transformers with different turns ratios , i got lost trying to follow the components to draw a circuit it just made no sense to me,

but looking at your diagram it is in the signal path, but I'm still not sure you would need a special transformer, i think he used line step up transformers which are quite cheap from Farnell or RS, a number of designs mentioned in the other threads use small toroids and have no problems with sound quality used on larger electrostatics, ( there's an Aussie guy who has a site where he sells much larger units and also posts on here and uses them he says he cannot hear the difference between the expensive specially wound audio transformers and the cheaper toroids)

what are the values of the components on the voltage multiplier ? as this looks like it would work on a larger home made unit which is what i have been thinking about, coupled to a bass treble unit, by larger i mean about 3 times the size of the small ones he sold,
do you have details of the crossover,

Last edited:
Seems indeed like Shackmans to me. Bought a pair at his home in New Barnett around 1978, indeed loaded with speakers (and 19forties UK interior).

He sold them in conjunction with 8 inch Dalesford Bextrene woofers and a pair of 2 mH ferrite coils. The woofers still perform their daily duties in a friend's 2 way speakers.

I never managed to have The ESL units sound anything other than outright horrible. Unfortunately I threw them away before I could do proper SPL measurements with IMP from 1993 on.

The transformers were very tiny indeed, the whole high tenson section mounted on a shoddy piece of timber. There was a wirewound pot of questionable qulaity included for woofer level matching.

Ah, brings back some audio memories from the UK audio business as it was in the late seventies.

Eelco

Hi, Very deja vu regarding my experience, Richard Allen bass units though, rgds, sreten.

Hi,

My best guess, as I'm not sure, is that Dalesford, (a crappy knock off
name intended to be similar to Wharfedale), was a short lived endeavour
by Fane trying to get into the hifi market by making KEF style drive units.
The Dalesford tweeters were sourced from Isophon and Audax.
Something to do with Sugden as well, not sure about the connections.

Not related to Richard Allen or Wharfedale, couldn't compete with Audax.

rgds, sreten.

Used in some RAM speakers, and a short lived range of D shaped speakers.

Dalesford_D_HFN_advert_Nov_1978_reduced.jpg

Last edited:
it was complicated in the late 60's and 70's as quite a few companies made drive units but not complete speakers, other mostly smaller speaker companies bought them and incorporated them in their own design of speaker,

Richard Allen made Dalesford, Dalesford was the name of the drive unit, at that time many if not most of the companies over here named their products Castle Speakers from Skipton used outsourced drivers early on, and i remember a speaker from them called the Kendal after a place in the Dales,
at that time a lot of small speaker companies started up and bought the units from other companies, Arcam Mission, etc, used drivers they bought in,
i still have two Arcam bass mid drive units with their name on but the tweeters were from Vifa, but they were modified to Arcams specs,

after or towards the late 70's RA were bought out possibly by Castle then Castle were bought out by Kef, lots of convoluted buying and selling going on then there were a lot of firms buying others out and incorporating the products into their own line,

one of the reasons for the names is that most of these small companies were located in west Yorkshire and around the area called the Dales, a lot of the senior staff left various companies to start their own when HI/FI was in it's boom years, engineers from Sugden and other companies,

Last edited:
what are the values of the components on the voltage multiplier ? as this looks like it would work on a larger home made unit which is what i have been thinking about, coupled to a bass treble unit, by larger i mean about 3 times the size of the small ones he sold,
do you have details of the crossover,
I'll have a look later, and see if I can make sense of it!

Well, I've got it here, but I need to work out the circuit BEFORE I've had a drink!
Actually, here are the pics, see if you can decipher it yourself; and let me know the circuit. I'm not just being lazy, following circuit diagrams gives me a headache. :confused:
The diodes are 1N4007, red caps are .01uF/300v, yellow cap .022/1500v, and the big green cap is 15uF, high pass for the audio out. Several components were removed over 20 years ago. The transformer is marked "Douglas"and is 65mm between the screws.
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Hi Thanks, i've been busy and hadn't had time to really look at it, the transformer looks about the same as on those i had i do have a photo of all the parts and will try and post them when i have time,
my own ideas are a bit simpler than those your planning,
but this looks like it would be ideal for what i have in mind,
so once again thanks for the information and diagram,,

John s

Hi Thanks, i've been busy and hadn't had time to really look at it, the transformer looks about the same as on those i had i do have a photo of all the parts and will try and post them when i have time,
my own ideas are a bit simpler than those your planning,
but this looks like it would be ideal for what i have in mind,
so once again thanks for the information and diagram,,

John s
I would be interested in any info/advice about replacement transformers. I believe they are 100:1 ratio, but not certain of that.

Many of the Dalesford drivers sold in the U.S. market were far different than the versions sold in the U.K. The specs were far different than the Kef drivers. One example are the Fried oem 10" that used a 135 mm diameter magnet and a extended pole piece.

Dennis Jaeger was the sole U.S. importer and distributed them to the vendors.

For Sale 2x Shackman Dynastat MHT-85

I am the original poster of this thread and owner of the Shackman electrostatic units.
Moving home is forcing a clearout and the realisation that my DIY speaker days are sadly over.
So if anyone is interested the two drivers, plus two very tatty but working power supply/cross overs are up for sale if anyone is interested.

Attachments

• IMG_0327.jpg
    IMG_0327.jpg
    809.4 KB · Views: 154
  • IMG_0263.jpg
    IMG_0263.jpg
    855.6 KB · Views: 142
Seems indeed like Shackmans to me. Bought a pair at his home in New Barnett around 1978, indeed loaded with speakers (and 19forties UK interior).

Ah, brings back some audio memories from the UK audio business as it was in the late seventies.

Eelco

I lived in New Barnet, and I went into his shop/house once, on a Saturday lunchtime on my way back from a school orchestra rehearsal. Probably about 1979. Although I was a teenager, I had already spent a long time fixing and experimenting with numerous pieces of commercial and home made equipment. I had some understanding of what sounded good and why, and I had a good ear.

He put a violin concerto on the record player. I was amazed. It truly was a revelation. There was a violin player in the room with us.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.