Help with valuation pair of Maggie's

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I just came across a pair of new in box NOS MG-1 Maggie's. Never taken out of the inner plastic. Just wondering what these would be worth. They are the original first production of the MG-1 so they are old but otherwise in perfect condition. Anyone help me decide on what I should be able to sell or buy these for? I think I can get then for $200 and am thinking they are at least worth that but probably a bit more. Ideas, suggestions?
Thanks,
Jeff

The MG-1 model goes back quite a way, you will want to look at the panels carefully to assure that the bonding of the conductors to the membranes is intact, as I believe the de-bonding of these wires is as much time related as usage.

If things look good and they are otherwise intact then the fair price might be $400 or so...if not and they need refurbishing then much lower.

I have an update on these....correction, they are not BNIB but rather "like BNIB"....a big difference for sure....but from what I have now read what I know now os probaly even better than BNIB. These were sent back to the factory for refurbishing and rewiring 10-12 years ago and have remained in the box and factory repackaging since. So, not new but sent back to be fixed a while back and sat stored and unused since. I think that makes them probably worth a bit more...chances are they perform properly with ten year old "new" wires. Since last night I sent a message to BIL telling him $250 so I am in them for $250 regardless. Hopefully they are as described and factory reworked. He sent me pics of them in the boxes with all the factory plastic wrapping and from what I can tell they do appear pristine. Anyone know what the freq response and sensitivity of these were?

From a consumer perspective, having been serviced does not really add to their value...
Especially since you do not know what happened to them and what was fixed...

If you are thinking about it as a potential speaker for your system, then I would suggest trying to get a used MMG or something for a bit more.
From an "investment" perspective, I don t think anyone would buy them, again because one can get the MMGs for a bit more....
So either way, my opinion would be to pass...

Pass is off the table, as said, I am in them for $250. As my BIL understands they were rewired...which I take to mean all the old aluminum conductive element was replace on both....I wonder if anyone ever added any super tweeters to these. I have a few Neo3 that I was thinking I might slip under the sock somehow and extend the upper range a bit....maybe even set them ontop or off to the sides...who knows....

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
I had the later MG1.4, and MG1.6QR - you'll enjoy these and got them for a reasonable price. The factory rebuild essentially replaces the diaphragm and all related components except the frame, magnets, and XO so if stored reasonably well you should be good to go.. Good score IMO.. Enjoy! :D The HF extension while not as good as the later models should be pretty good, and I would suspect you may have trouble integrating other tweeters with the Maggies - you may not need to do anything.

I had the 1.7... an moved out of them in 6weeks... Thay did not sound good with tubes are any amp 100- 500watts....this was when that frist came out i thought maybe thay were a dud pr....but some like the sound...gofigg
I have had 5-6pr of Magnepans over a 30years... an have now the MG3a...Mg2.5rs...MG2c...Krell 100 or sunfire 300 will drive any of them... but....7s weard...goodluck

Well I brought them home today, it has been a long wait. They have been at my BIL's since I bought them and we just went down there for the holidays. They are literrally pristine. The original box show it's age but inside they look like a brand new pair. I had a chance to final talk with the original owner and got the scoop on them. They were sent back to the factory about 10 years ago to get rewired. A couple of the wires went bad so they were completely overhauled by the factory. They were re-sealed in the factory plastic bags and put back into a new box and sent back to him where they immediately went into an upstairs closet and sat unused until now. They have been store climate controlled and in an upright position the entire time. The frames and socks look new from what I can see through the plastic. We just drove a what usually takes four hours....in eight, through a blizzard in north TX and SW OK....I am beat and thankful we made it in one piece (tons of ditched cars and wrecks everywhere)...going to bed now...will hook them up tomorrow and see how they sound. Will be using a Parasound HCA1000 to test them, will let y'all know if they still work.

I can tell you right now my wife ABHORs these things, I can't stress that word enough....she couldn't believe I would waste precious room in the Tahoe to bring them back...I will probably end up selling them after I have listened to them for a couple weeks. I will probably redo the XO with some decent poly caps too. So, of you are not too far from OK these might soon be over at the swap meet. I will post a link here if they go up for sale.

Thanks for all the input here and merry Chrstmas to everyone!
Jeff

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.