My 1st ELS build - first question!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Well done, Bruce! First sound is exciting, yeah? Sounds are so real it's spooky, and you never quite get used to it.... years from now they will still amaze you.

WELL DONE!

Thanks for the complement Charlie! Yes, "spooky" is the word for it! I try to be objective and consider that it is not due to the fact that I built them or it being what I expect to hear, because of what others have said - they are truly amazing. That's for sure why I am so glad I built them!

The overall width determines the low end roll off as per the laws of dipole cancelation.
The width of the sections determine the angle of dispersion of the frequency's.

As quoted from here,

A Segmented Stator Desktop ESL

"When the section width equals one wavelength the dispersion pattern is of the familiar doublet figure 8 pattern, and, any frequency below this point becomes more and more omni directional with a circular wave front.
Above this frequency the wave front begins to form into a beam and sometimes with some extra lobes shooting out from the sides."

My new panel has similar dimensions as it is 5"X 12" overall and the diaphragm width is 3.75".
So the graphs I made may be very close to your setup.

jer :)

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.