diy planar speaker diaphram question

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
the best material to use is 12 um mylar c, that is what I use now, after trying rubbish bags and various different thick materials from 100 um down to 6 um. I have built and rebuilt over 60 planars using neos and ferrites. From A4 size up to 7' x 2'. I have hopefully finally reached my design goal.

Picture off Cellofan mylar.

Attachments

• IMG_7847.JPG
    IMG_7847.JPG
    492 KB · Views: 375
Cellophan is used to wrap flowers, giftbaskets, cockies among other things.
Its a clear film that I taught was some sort of plastic initialy, but actually its made from cellulose!
It's more "brittle" compared to Mylar, but its easy to get hold of and cheap so for initial testing of principals - go for it!
If you want a stable long lasting speaker - get some Hostaphan or Mylar! ;)

/R

You can use Monokote as well.
But use the thinnest stuff you can get.
I have used (Super) ultra kote as it was the thinnest I could find at about a little less than a 1mil.

It works great for a quick panel.

Although using a thicker material will get you a good tension it also raises the resonate frequency of the diaphragm.

This won't be to much of an issue on a large panel.

Once it is bonded to the frame you can also remove the glue layer by washing it with some acetone.
This won't do a whole lot but it does help to reduce the mass of the diaphragm for the higher frequency's.

But, Yes, .5mil to .25mil or so mylar is the best for high frequency's.

jer :)

A "mil" is the same as a "thou." Both refer to a thousandth and are nicknames for 0.001 inch. I really wish President Thomas Jefferson had gotten his way over 200 years ago so the US could now use the same system of units as the rest of the world.

Because there are, by definition, 25.4 mm in one inch, there are exactly 25.4 microns (micrometers) in each thousandth of an inch (mil or thou).

Now for tablespoons, cups, board-feet, fluid ounces versus ounces of weight, and yards (as a measure of volume!)... It's a marvel anyone can make anything with this system.

Few

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.