Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Planars & Exotics ESL's, planars, and alternative technologies

Summer Project - Replication of MBL loudspeaker 101mkII
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 10th August 2017, 03:56 AM   #251
Magnasanti is offline Magnasanti  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerryrigged View Post
I've had the bases for my project CNC'd to make the end result a tad less 'garage DIY'. I've spent a lot of time considering a better approach to forming cones, as 'hand forming' yields variations that I'm trying to avoid. A small slip roller would be ideal, but they're not made small enough 'off the shelf'. So I'm working towards making one that's 'purpose built' for the goal...
That seems to be a common issue for the both of us, that 'driven element' that drives you nutz. But I will admit yours is more of a challenge and a feat to do properly. But you're doing great at it...keep on keepin' on.
Thanks Jerry CNC and 3d printing are my lord and savior
Old 10th August 2017, 06:08 AM   #252
jerryrigged is offline jerryrigged  United States
diyAudio Member

Amen to that! *G* I've yet to foray into 3D printing anything for my 'exploits', but printing metal does seem attractive...but not quite yet.

I've been struggling with that simple yet effective means of rolling materials for cones in a predictable fashion. I finally arrived at an approach that has those answers; more on that as I cobble together 'the widget'.

Meanwhile, our 'regular business' is on the cusp of a large project using the CNC source I used for the bases. We having him route 206 pieces in treated wood for the ribs of a 45' long fish play structure we're going to build for a town near Burlington, NC. Since it's size precludes us assembling in shop, it's going to be done outdoors literally on our doorstep. I suspect that might cause a bit of a stir amongst the locals here...not to mention when it 'hits the road' to the final destination...*L* Not often when one sees a 'fish out of water' on the interstate.

BTW, hope your going to join in the Great Migration to watch the eclipse. A cousin of mine remarked that it might feel like a national version of Woodstock. Well, a 3 minute version of it, Yes...it'll certainly be a national 'jam' both before and after fer chure. *L* Pity no chance for an encore if the weather doesn't 'shine' on the festival.
Old 11th August 2017, 04:05 AM   #253
diyAudio Member

Default something cooking

Something in the works.
Attached Images
File Type: png 2017-08-11_000833.png (848.7 KB, 127 views)

Last edited by Magnasanti; 11th August 2017 at 04:09 AM.
Old 11th August 2017, 04:11 AM   #254
diyAudio Member

sounds crazy Jerry. there seems to have been a ton of progress in the effort to replicate a wash driver.
Old 11th August 2017, 01:46 PM   #255
diyAudio Member

*L* It is crazy, but we're crazy enough to tilt windmills like that...

Nice piece of metal...no clue as to what it's for or will do, but...*G*shrug*

Yeah, there seems to be an uptick in interest 'bout them. The 'original' full-range versions like the F and A will still prove to be a challenge (ask HHR/Dale about that). There's omnis showing up in the 'digital assistants', but what I've 'seen' or aware of are still not a 'true' Walsh radiator...at least in the sense of the profile of the cone and the way it's implemented. But we'll see....esp. in pricing, which tends to be get insanely high for what basically isn't that difficult IMHO...

I'd like to take some credit for that 'uptick', but I'd be patting my own back in a self-delusional fashion.... *L* But it's an overdue resurgence in interest, IMHO. They're too revolutionary, underappreciated, and would make 'home theater' really ACT like it should. The MBL's (and yours *S*) are just the pinnacle of how far the omni concept can be taken, and how successful it can be.

I'll keep plunking away with my 'trash'....likely I won't be able to afford whatever and however the 'new Walsh' may be. And it keeps me off the streets and out of other people's hair. *L*
Old 11th September 2017, 02:58 AM   #256
diyAudio Member

Default In the works

more of whats to come
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20170910_183804.jpg (340.5 KB, 63 views)
File Type: jpg 20170907_121221.jpg (378.3 KB, 62 views)
Old 11th September 2017, 02:27 PM   #257
diyAudio Member

More beautiful metal, waiting for its' Audio Godot.... I'm sure it feels that way, sometimes....it does for me...

Found a source for 2 mil Ti foil...having to buy (and have) a 85' x 12" coil, so if you could use some, just PM me up.

Summer Project - Replication of MBL loudspeaker 101mkIIHide this!Advertise here!