Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Planars & Exotics ESL's, planars, and alternative technologies

Summer Project - Replication of MBL loudspeaker 101mkII
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 18th November 2016, 05:39 PM   #241
jerryrigged is offline jerryrigged  United States
diyAudio Member

Thought so, just wanted to verify. Too smooth for powder coat, and I can see 'skid marks' in the visible countersunk hole. Normal for alum...

That's what happens when one has had his nose rubbed into materials a lot....you notice the 'fiddly bits' of minimal consequence. *L*

Unless the bit is 'newish' and is precisely the right speed, the alum 'smears' like butter right from the fridge. I've dealt with people that have noticed such. Wanted to slap them. Thousandths of an inch, doesn't effect fit, and they see That. You pick up on the anality of it, and people stop inviting you to parties. Industrial disease....
Old 26th November 2016, 03:10 AM   #242
Magnasanti is offline Magnasanti  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Inner Diffuser

More metal magic. This is the inner diffuser. finished metal components are in the works.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20161125_201550.jpg (358.3 KB, 448 views)
File Type: jpg 20161125_201554.jpg (364.6 KB, 429 views)
Old 26th November 2016, 03:56 PM   #243
diyAudio Member

Beautiful....*L*...but it starts to look like a sonic revolver, 'bout 22 caliber...

"Stand back...these speakers are killa. See those holes in the floor?"

I remember back when a poster asked if you could make a kit of parts for assembly. You could, based on what you're posting but I suspect only a few would have the skill and patience to put them together. Not to mention any jigs that would be absolutely necessary to do elements of the routine Correctly....

You're amazing, Sir. *S* Your efforts are beginning to start looking legendary. It's inspiring to 'look over your shoulder' as it transpires. Makes looking like fab'ing an ESL or a ribbon driver child's play in contrast. Absolutely awesome....^5's...
Old 4th January 2017, 03:55 AM   #244
diyAudio Member

Default Complete Metal Fab

Here I have the completed metal structure for the mid-range. here you can see there is a lot of metal and the bottom fits flush accurate so far.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20170103_220101.jpg (374.3 KB, 379 views)
File Type: jpg 20170103_220407.jpg (270.1 KB, 377 views)
File Type: jpg 20170103_220221.jpg (931.9 KB, 362 views)
Old 4th January 2017, 05:48 AM   #245
diyAudio Member

Metalwork as Art. Beautiful...*S*
Old 4th January 2017, 03:32 PM   #246
KerryG is offline KerryG  United States
diyAudio Member

Nicely done!
Old 22nd May 2017, 10:16 PM   #247
urmom is offline urmom  United States
Banned

I wonder if 3D printing can help make these parts more reproducible. You can print anything from steel to gold these days. Plus there are exotic materials like TPU and carbon fiber and the like.
I was looking at the picture on post #220 and thinking that could be done accurately with a printing service.
I don't pretend to know much about the requirements of assembly on this thing but maybe you could optimize the design for ease of assembly with printed parts minimizing the effort and know-how allowing for group buys and diy assembly.
Lord knows I would buy one. This is the kind of stuff that gets me going, unfortunately I don't have the funds, knowledge, or proximity to help you much in your project or I would.
Keep at it.
Old 24th May 2017, 06:15 AM   #248
diyAudio Member

So, David....*S* Any major progress on the quest?

I've been 'away' in FL for 7 wks., back for 2+ as we get our act back in gear at home. I'm determined to get my V.4 project underway again...
Old 27th June 2017, 05:09 AM   #249
diyAudio Member

Default very small update

All i did was bore out the existing threads in the motor so that the threads to the chassis didnt cause the motor to rise and not make flush contact. Also the bottom piece where the metal casing bolts are attached to where not properly done which did not allow me to use my existing screws I found some that worked just as well and now we know what it looks like assembled at last the biggest thing left is making a high quality lamella process and molds
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20170626_233847.jpg (348.6 KB, 92 views)
File Type: jpg 20170626_233943.jpg (869.6 KB, 66 views)
Old 27th June 2017, 06:39 AM   #250
diyAudio Member

I've had the bases for my project CNC'd to make the end result a tad less 'garage DIY'. I've spent a lot of time considering a better approach to forming cones, as 'hand forming' yields variations that I'm trying to avoid. A small slip roller would be ideal, but they're not made small enough 'off the shelf'. So I'm working towards making one that's 'purpose built' for the goal...
That seems to be a common issue for the both of us, that 'driven element' that drives you nutz. But I will admit yours is more of a challenge and a feat to do properly. But you're doing great at it...keep on keepin' on.

Summer Project - Replication of MBL loudspeaker 101mkIIHide this!Advertise here!