Summer Project - Replication of MBL loudspeaker 101mkII

Currently redesigning punch press hopefully for the last time .
To produce sqaure cuts easily and quickly. As well as getting the alignment system made to glue laminates to voics coil. Melon Fan as far as im aware there is no ferro-fluid in the melon only the mid and high-frequency unit.

Melon Fan, David has yet to do anything that I'd call less than Impressive. ;) His patient approach has made me consider putting him up for "Sainthood:Audio Category"...*S*

So, the thought is that the melon is a sealed unit, as Melon Fan asked? Does that potentially create a degree of stress on the various seams and joinery?
The thought behind the question is a simple 'balloon' analog; a sealed balloon, on a surface, being compressed vertically. The membrane is stressed equally, but it's continuous and monolithic. Whereas, your melon is comprised of parts.

I certainly can appreciate 'jigging up' for assembly routines; I'm facing the same issues, but on simpler levels and quantities of parts (thankfully *phew*).

Of late, getting into 'tweeter testing' with existing main drivers. That, and making cones out of acoustic foam; a trick in itself. Bigger versions aren't so bad to do....smaller ones?
One starts to consider stainless steel 'shark gloves'.

Ask the pro's if they 'do' cones..."No." Oh....*hmmm*

Turns out the best way (other than casting it) is a bandsaw and/or an electric carving knife. Both of which put fingers in the Danger Zone. :(

(The larger ones, done on a lathe manually with the knife After the band saw's rough shaping, come out decent. The small one's are still a 'work in progress'....).

Anyway...Happy New Decade to you and the family.

Keep up with astounding us...:))

Last I've heard...

...is that David was accepted to a local college, Melon.

So, between work/family/school/and dodging Covid like all of us I'd surmise he's got a full plate. And like most of us, hobby habits of the audio variety get looked at with a *sigh*....

That's certainly my status, getting to throw the odd hour or so at it.
His advantage is 'being young', while I'm an old snot with the clock laughing at me. ;)

Seems a common problem of late for all of us of late. Reference Dire Straits' "Industrial Disease", an earlier 'pandemic' of which there's no cure that even CRISPR can cure. 🤦*♂️🤷*♂️😆

Update*
Jerry hit the nail on the head all of the above are true.
Everything seems to be coming full circle in a way and a long journey has just begun. This project started my passion for engineering and as anyone can tell from the first few post I knew nothing. I am about to graduate from a top engineering school and it wouldn't have happened without this project. I feel very proud and plan to continue upon graduation as school takes up a lot of time. Don't worry things will only get better from here I don't plan any replication I plan to make the BEST. I accomplished a lot with a high school diploma and with the rigor invested in me ill do my best to put my education towards this project.

Attachments

• received_2759753314345851.jpeg
    received_2759753314345851.jpeg
    97.9 KB · Views: 255
  • received_314425546569153.jpeg
    received_314425546569153.jpeg
    131.6 KB · Views: 252
...every now and zen...

*S* I usually just nail myself in the head, or a random extremity.... ;)

"In the pines, where the sun never shines....", but good to hear it from the object of Your obsession....*G* I just mentioned your quest on a post @ AG last night, in defense of 'DIY' projects vs. just dropping mega$ in the pursuit of 'perfection' in audio Nirvana.

It's terrific to hear all goes well (or at a tolerable level) with you; school, family, keeping all stuck together, health, all that day2day....stolen moments to make a dream come true as well. *VBS*5's*

Same to same in my local focal locus as well, the covid curse has keep us busy giving parents and public projects a means to get the kids away from the Xboxes and OUTSIDE burning energy and building bodies in many ways other than thumbs...

Can't complain, 'shant complain....hit 70 in late June but see no rational rationale to back down from pedal to metal..

Towards that, have to get back into my day, and the pursuits within it.

Great to 'hear' from you, David. *S* Keep on keepin' on.

Ragged cheerleader me, J

Current thematic muzic...;)

Foo Fighters – Medicine At Midnight (Original Sake Making Video) - YouTube

"....threw away those broken heros, they're just wood 'n wires..."

or, more mellow..

The War on Drugs - Under The Pressure (Official Video) - YouTube

..stay in touch... ;)

Some years back I picked up a copy of the Japanese magazine, 'Stereo Sound' from the mid 80s from a used book store and was surprised to learn that the radialstrahler design was available as far back the early 80s as the MBL 100 and subsequently the MBL 101. I attach some pics which show a copious use of copper on the lamellars before the advent of carbon fibre.

Hi would you happen to have the model number and serial number of these speakers. I have a similar one but can’t seem to find the serial number for parts

Attachments

• IMG_9183.jpeg
    IMG_9183.jpeg
    196.3 KB · Views: 68
  • 940943b6-48c9-4d95-a1ed-f45cffae0cc8.jpeg
    940943b6-48c9-4d95-a1ed-f45cffae0cc8.jpeg
    46.5 KB · Views: 55